Forum

Author Topic: Can Professional Edition yield better results for scanning people?  (Read 7312 times)

Andrew

• View Profile
I have quite a lot experience with PS Standard Edition (and I'm really quite happy with results!), but I keep wondering - can Professional Edition enhance reconstruction quality even further?

I know it can help streamline process with ability to scale/orient meshes properly and with broad Python scripting capabilities, but I am curious about features that refine/optimize reconstruction - do these only make sense for DEM applications or will they also result in more precise/smoother reconstructions of human faces and such?

Perhaps anyone can share screengrabs from same dataset processed with and without ProEdition-specific features?

-Andrew

Andrew

• View Profile
Re: Can Professional Edition yield better results for scanning people?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
76 post views and no answer, unless people in the know missed this thread, I guess it's safe to assume that Photoscan Professional Edition does not provide mesh quality edge over Standard Edition in non-DEM applications...

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »
no real idea as I don't have the pro version, but I think you can optimize the alignment points after deleting some bad ones using the gradual selection.. unlike the standard version... other than that, well yes pretty much the pro version is DEM oriented...

my $0.1
f/

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 03:22:16 PM »
No it can't. You need more hardware in place to improve results. The PRO version has extra benefits due to the Python scripting. It also has built in features for 4D processing.

But if you want to see Photoscan improve, perhaps support these guys further with a PRO purchase. Photoscan is always improving. It has advanced a great deal in the last 2 years and gets better every year.