Forum

Author Topic: too many overlapping pictures (how to thin them automatically?)  (Read 5024 times)

jan

• View Profile
too many overlapping pictures (how to thin them automatically?)
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:39:55 PM »
Hi, I've not been using Photoscan for a while, but I'm going to use it again now.

I've a new collection of photos (about 5000 of them) of a landscape acquired by interval-shooting from a drone. However there is too much overlap-area between the photos. Although this is of course better than too few overlap, aligning 5000 photos will take too much time. Do I have to thin this photo collection manually (which also will take a lot of time with 5000 pictures!), or can this photo thinning be performed automatically in Photoscan.

In case that such function is not (yet?) implemented in Photoscan this may be considered as a feature request... It would be so nice if Photoscan could automatically take a suitable (or even optimal in terms of processing time) subset of photos from a photo-set with too many pictures (i.e. too much overlapping area between all pictures in the set). In this way computing time could be (sometimes highly) reduced by omitting superfluous data.

best wishes,
Jan

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: too many overlapping pictures (how to thin them automatically?)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:11:10 PM »
try simple tricks here:

inspect image overlap, say you need just every 2nd image ( can be used to any number similar images )

start new project, resize OPEN IMAGE window and resize it to 2 column  . then select just ONE of them so you can have just every 2nd image there - 5000 - 2500 = 2500 images. and this way you can "filter" overlap in easy way. Im do it mostly so that have 6-10 columns and select just 2 of them sohave a lot lower amount of images to process.

But it would be very interesting to have it as feature that PSCAN can filter it after align stage   - that AGI already know the overlap ratio....
----------------
www.mhb.sk