Forum

Author Topic: Problems with FBX export  (Read 8765 times)

maddin

• View Profile
Problems with FBX export
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:57:48 PM »
I keep having problems when exporting my PhotoScan results to FBX format and then importing this into 3ds Max 2014:

• The FBX file orientation is set to Y-up but I believe it should be set to z-Up.
  • When using WGS84 coordinate system during export, the mesh shows up as a long thin line of vertices; using local coordinates works fine, though
  • The mesh, when exported using local coordinates, does not have a name in 3ds Max
  • It seems markers do not get exported to FBX
  • All cameras in 3ds Max show wild manual clipping parameters
  • Not sure this is within the capabilities of FBX, but since 3ds Max defines the camera aspect ratio using the render resolution, the camera information in 3ds max is only partially useful after import. Right now, the user needs to manually adjust them to match the image size used in PhotoScan

Is there any alternative to using FBX for getting the camera information from PhotoScan into 3ds Max?

On a side note: exporting as OBJ is extremely slow when compared to FBX or PLY, by a factor of ten or more.

Martin

maddin

• View Profile
Re: Problems with FBX export
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »
  • When using WGS84 coordinate system during export, the mesh shows up as a long thin line of vertices; using local coordinates works fine, though

FWIW, this point has been explained elsewhere: The WGS84 coordinates are measured in degrees and thus are different for X and Y. The recommendation is to use local coordinates.

Martin