Forum

Author Topic: low-cost scanning using Kinect  (Read 8438 times)

hsmith

• View Profile
low-cost scanning using Kinect
« on: January 11, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »
For those who have interested in scanning of human subjects, here is an admittedly low-resolution but pretty cheap option (used Kinects are available on amazon for about $35).

The app uses some pretty sophisticated non-rigid registration algorithms.

The entire scan takes at least 30 seconds or so, I would guess.

The application doesn't allow saving the file generated by the Kinect.  But as sensors get cheaper and resolution improves, I wonder if this scheme has applications for something more than novelty "selfies."

https://shapify.me/

Disclaimer:  I don't have any financial interest in shapify.com and I don't even think I'll make use of it; just wanted Agisoft and members to know what the competition is up to...

Harold

fabberlounge

• View Profile
Re: low-cost scanning using Kinect
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »
Hi,

We have tried it out, with that experience I honestly can say its not comparable to a photogrammetric solution. Maybe with the Kinect 2.0 you get better results, the problem is that you have to turn in front of the kinect (while it moves up and down) and there are so many influence factors, its a nice gimmick but not a reliable solution. But I am sure that a lot of people will try it out, be maybe disappointed by a very small and not detailed figurino, thats the chance for high end products. Quality is the key...

all the best, Andreas
Yes, we scan !

Exhale

• View Profile
Re: low-cost scanning using Kinect
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:48:24 PM »
Kinect,  if you want something look like a bit you... that is fine.
However it won't statisfy lot's of people.   
I accept, the quality is discussable topic... But good result is the key.