Forum

Author Topic: The High-end workstation or server for Agisoft PhotoScan Pro?  (Read 18384 times)

an198317

• View Profile
The High-end workstation or server for Agisoft PhotoScan Pro?
« on: November 14, 2013, 07:50:03 PM »
Hi guys,

We got enough money to get a high-end workstation or server for processing our 3D model. We are looking at some high-end Dell server that we can put multiple processors (CUPs) in there and each processor can have 8+ cores. OS will be Windows Server 2008 or 2012

So I'm wondering can PhotoScan Pro really utilize that computer power and be compatible with Windows Server OS?

If not, what's the best solution (configuration) for us to have a high-end workstation or server that Agisoft can be run fast?

Nan

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: The High-end workstation or server for Agisoft PhotoScan Pro?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:05:56 PM »
OK with that idea, but for max performance use LINUX - Ubuntu 13.xx try use some hifreq CPUs, better than many cores on lower freq. 8Core is sweetspot for now.... Use AMD GPUs for best DEPHT map generation....

----------------
www.mhb.sk

Exhale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »
Hi mate,

In your case, if you can budged for a server, it would be the best choice.
I am not sure about dell but currently I can talk for HP as independent HP Server&Storage Pre-sales Engineer;

There is a new CPU family is being used and you will be able to use Ivy Bridge 3rd Gen Intel Core Processor (Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 processors). And that brings lots of new things like increased performance of up to 35% as well as makes you to have significant benefit from using PC3-14600R R-DIMM RAM kits instead of PC3-10600 or PC3-12800. I want to mention, You can use up to 768GB memory(currently only LRDIMM, cos unfortunately only it has 32GB quad rank modules. that makes 32GBx24 DIMM=768GB). Certanly, you may want to stick on PC3-14600R as I do. So in this case nowadays you can reach maximum 512GB RAM. That is 16GB x 24DIMM.  (As I will say soon, those server comes with two socket. if you have only one CPU, you can use 12 DIMM activated. If you wanna install more than 12 ram kits you need to get the second CPU (And redundant power supply as well :) ))

by the way: PC3-14600 1866Mhz  /  PC3-12800 1600Mhz  /  PC3-10600  1333Mhz

Yes, those servers come with 2 socket. Expensive but you may want to use, CPU Like E5-2695V2 or E5-2697V2. Each of them has 12 Cores. That means you can have  total: 2 CPU  ,24 Cores, 48 thread of execution... It will be a killer..

I may want to mention you about RAID advantages to improve the performance, but it's getting deep technical  :o

At the end, my recommedation is Server instead of WS.  (HP DL380P Starting from $ 1,799 in US)
You may be interested in this link. I can make you server configuration advice for free ;)
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5177957#!tab=specs

Cheers bro,
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:32:11 PM by Exhale »

lefsky

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
What I'd like to know is how to prioritize hardware. Is my money best spent on increasing memory to 64 Gb, the most modern processor, an SSD or the GPU card?

How much memory can Photoscan use? It regularly eats up all of my 32 Gb, so moving to 64 seems logical. But how limiting is disk access? Will a GPU speed up analysis significantly?

M

mr map

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:45:52 AM »
@Exhale

I looked at these Proliant servers.  (I am curious since I am about to invest in a PS workstation very soon).
Maybe server is a good choice for Photoscan use.... BUT:
I suppose they cannot be equipped with one or more high performing GPU, can they?
If not, is this not a serious con for the server alternative? (compared to a workstation setup)

Tom

Exhale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »
Hi Tom,

When I was writing about this topic, I meant the NVIDIA® Quadro® 6000 professional graphics cards.

However, as Alexey Pasumansky says that, PhotoScan doesn't use double precision calculations, thus the most part of Quadro functionality is not utilized. But single precision floating point calculations at gamer class cards are not slower and usually even faster than on Quadro.

Currently I can say , single precision calculations class GPU cards (GTX780, ATI 7970...etc) can be installed on the server instead of NVIDIA® Quadro® series. Although, the server vendor will not take care of your brand new server. So, it's not a good option.

If you don't want to take the guarantee risk, go for workstation like I did. Unfortunately can't get extreme benefit from CPU calculations.. I can send you my workstation's specs.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:44:10 PM by Exhale »

Exhale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
The specs. are :

INTEL i7 4930K 3.4 GHz Socket 2011 12MB 6 Core
ASUS P9X79  X79, DDR3,  Socket 2011, CrossFireX & SLI
KINGSTON 32 GB DDR3 2400 MHZ CL11 XMP HYPERX KHX24C11T3K4/32X
SEAGATE ST2000DX001   2 TB SSHD SATA III 64 MB 7200 rpm hibrit
Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X R9 280X OC 3GB DDR5 384 Bit PCI (11221-02-40G)
AeroCool XPREDATOR 1100W 80+ Plus Gold ,Big Tower

The good thing about the system is,
Support for up to 64GB of system memory with an 8-DIMM design.
Currently I am using 32GB, so I have 4 DIMM slots are available for the future upgrade..

I can get minimum sth like this without making CPU working (High details)

Device 1 performance: 765.774 million samples/sec (Hawaii)
Device 2 performance: 762.169 million samples/sec (Hawaii)
Total performance: 1527.94 million samples/sec

Exhale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »
Yes. It is also an option.
More invesment, higher performance. :)
Although, I heart some dual CPU systems make problem. As I don't need to work with massive workload decided on single CPU workstation.

mr map

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/4U/7047/SYS-7047GR-TPRF.cfm

Quite a machine  :D
I like the 16 memory slots.
Do you have first hand experience with this one?
If so: Noise level? (it?s not suitable for liquid cooling...)
It would be nice if it had also USB3 and audio ports on the back. Then again this can be added with PCI cards...

Tom

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 11:35:42 PM »
Forget this one http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/4027/SYS-4027GR-TR.cfm  See PCI-E slots ammount.....

i have dual xeon board from Supermicro, rock solid and stable..... 24 RAM Slots and etc....

hard to say, but from  reading a lot on forums before my purchase was pointed to Supermicro... depend on what need to have, im think as its standard 2011 socket that you can use even Wcooling
----------------
www.mhb.sk

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 12:44:38 AM »
I have a ASUS P9X79  X79, DDR3,  Socket 2011 with 4930 6 core CPU.  Very happy with it,  Thought it was the best performance for the money.  Currently 32gb but have another 32 on order.  GTX Titan card as i also use this for Octane Render and that app as well as many other rendering apps only support CUDA.  Also it is 6gb of texture memory which is good to have for rendering larger scenes.   

Question,  could i upgrade to Xenon E5 on this card in the future?  Same socket 2011 right? 

mr map

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »
Forget this one http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/4027/SYS-4027GR-TR.cfm  See PCI-E slots ammount.....

i have dual xeon board from Supermicro, rock solid and stable..... 24 RAM Slots and etc....

hard to say, but from  reading a lot on forums before my purchase was pointed to Supermicro... depend on what need to have, im think as its standard 2011 socket that you can use even Wcooling

:o Wow!
Though liquid cooling would be tricky, this chassis is not designed to house radiators. Well of course, a true enthusiast might set up the radiators outside the case  ;D