Forum

Author Topic: PS 1.0 feedback  (Read 6597 times)

maddin

• View Profile
PS 1.0 feedback
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »
While trying to get my aerial data working in PS 1.0 build 1771, I wrote down some feedback.
Here it is:

• Batch Processing
    • Add an option to send an email after the batch processing is finished, ideally with some status report and/or the log file.
    • Allow saving multiple versions the .psz between the batch steps
    • Use double-click for editing a batch step
    • Currently, when running out of memory, there is only a very weak error message
    • Do not use whitespace in the file names used in .obj/.mtl export
  • It would be good to be able to load an old file and get detailed information on which settings were used to build the data
  • Do not automatically switch to mesh view after building; textured mesh mode, for example, can be very slow
  • Add an option to auto-switch from 'mesh' to 'point' mode while rotating the model view; at least here, point mode is much faster than mesh mode
  • Allow the user to specify a custom point size
  • Add hotkeys for view rotation/pan as in Maya and/or 3ds Max; it's rather cumbersome in selection mode to rotate the view
  • Allow the user to (temporarily) pick a point on the model and rotate the view around that point, keeping it fixed on the screen
  • Remember the last viewing position and mode when loading a PS file

Hope this is useful feedback
Martin

maddin

• View Profile
Re: PS 1.0 feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »
  • It would be good to be able to load an old file and get detailed information on which settings were used to build the data

I just found the rt-click 'Show Info' function for a chunk, which is basically what I want. It is a little hard to find.

Martin

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »
Hello Martin,

Thank you for suggestions.

Do not automatically switch to mesh view after building; textured mesh mode, for example, can be very slow
There is corresponding option in the Advanced Preferences tab.

Add hotkeys for view rotation/pan as in Maya and/or 3ds Max; it's rather cumbersome in selection mode to rotate the view
There are several view and rotation presets. So once switched to, lets say Front view, you can rotate around Z axes by holding blue equatorial line on the Trackball.

Allow the user to (temporarily) pick a point on the model and rotate the view around that point, keeping it fixed on the screen
Right-clicking on the point in the shaded/solid/textured view and choosing Center View option will move center of rotation to this point.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

maddin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »
Do not automatically switch to mesh view after building; textured mesh mode, for example, can be very slow
There is corresponding option in the Advanced Preferences tab.

Perfect, thanks. Before, I wasn't sure what that option would do when I saw it.

Add hotkeys for view rotation/pan as in Maya and/or 3ds Max; it's rather cumbersome in selection mode to rotate the view
There are several view and rotation presets. So once switched to, lets say Front view, you can rotate around Z axes by holding blue equatorial line on the Trackball.

But that's the point. I would prefer not to switch modes. Instead, I'd like to hold down Alt while left/right-click-dragging in order to quickly change the viewpoint, release Alt and continue with selection, for example.

Allow the user to (temporarily) pick a point on the model and rotate the view around that point, keeping it fixed on the screen
Right-clicking on the point in the shaded/solid/textured view and choosing Center View option will move center of rotation to this point.

Perfect, thanks!

Martin

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 03:02:27 PM »
Hello Martin,
Use double-click for editing a batch step
implemented in build 1780.

Please note that using "Space" key you can switch between navigation mode and latest selected (like selection, region tools).
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

maddin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
Use double-click for editing a batch step
implemented in build 1780.

Cool, thanks!

Please note that using "Space" key you can switch between navigation mode and latest selected (like selection, region tools).

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware of this hotkey which helps a little. But being able to hold down Alt to do some intermediary view changes would be really nice (and make PS more compatible with other 3D apps).

Martin

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »
But that's the point. I would prefer not to switch modes. Instead, I'd like to hold down Alt while left/right-click-dragging in order to quickly change the viewpoint, release Alt and continue with selection, for example.

I agree with this comment. The viewport navigation in Max/Maya is very nice and quick. For those of used to 3D applications, the navigation in Photoscan does feel a bit akward.

Maya viewport navigation works like this:

Alt+LMB = Rotate
Alt+RMB = Zoom in/out
Alt+MMB = Pan Left/Right/Up/Down

Another issue with viewport navigation is that the more you zoom in, the less responsive the camera panning becomes. So when I am zoomed in on a detail, I need to wildly move my mouse dozens of times to move the camera a small distance.