Forum

Author Topic: Why Quadro s are not good for Agisoft  (Read 16722 times)

oxiabit

• View Profile
Why Quadro s are not good for Agisoft
« on: December 06, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »
Hello

As I ve read from this forum, Generally users says standart nvidia Gamer Cards are faster than quadro series. But Normally standart Cards is for Games, Quadro Series is for workstations and for professional 3D process.

But I dont understand Why it is not same at Agisoft?

Most of professional 3d works goes with quadro s. If highest gamer cards are better than quadro, Why We should prefer quadros?

thank you

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Why Quadro s are not good for Agisoft
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »
Dear erdemekinci,

PhotoScan doesn't use double precision calculations, thus the most part of Quadro functionality is not utilized.
But single precision floating point calculations at gamer class cards are not slower and usually even faster than on Quadro.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

FLuca

• View Profile
    • Another-me
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »
Hi,
After trying photoscan on game card (GTX285) and pro card (quadro 4000), i would definitely go for the pro card on my next configuration.
I haven't being able to compare performances cause the CPU and memory are not the same, but my GTX cards goes up very fast to high temperature (100°C) when the GPU is 100% used, while quadro is almost no affected and remains around 60°C.
With such high temperatures, it happens very often to crash the nvidia driver and even the computer.
Regards
Fred
Fred Lucazeau - Body Scan - www.another-me.fr
Sketchfab gallery: https://sketchfab.com/fredlucazeau

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »
Dear Fred,

We suggest to use more recent cards - at least from GeForce GTX 5xx series.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:34:50 PM »
Fluca, its becasue Quadros running on lower frequency as normal Gamer cards. the 28x very, very power hungry, and if change for say 560Ti - 580 you get much more faster results. try do some calculations and you realize that just swaping for new card will save you a LOT of money for power bill.

just form head, in one year you save for new 580 card.......

again read a bit here on forum. Quadros are good, but for specific areas, to be specific, say you have CAD model of a car, and you need that ALL trangles are drawn correctly. gamer card can do it for 99,4 % but someone need to have 100 % so they buy Quadro. Quadros are mostly specialized ( just in drivers, hardware side, its the S A M E stuff as gamer card ) to draw lines and wires fast and preciously. you pay premium for good rivers and support, nothing more....... and they are clocked down, we can modify gamer cards with better cooling, overclock it and etc. and i can have 4-6 gamer cards for price of one Quadro, SAME hw inside !!!!!!! 

http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/11/group-test-amd-and-nvidia-professional-gpus-2013/

----------------
www.mhb.sk

oxiabit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »
Yes thank you. I understood.

what about Using quadro and gamer cards together.

Because we are about to buy Dell workstation. And it comes with K4000. I cannot drop that. What is more I need quadro for my other softwares. My question is, is it possible to add gamer card (GTX T?tan ex.) as a second car? and is it possible to thick Device at PhotoScan preferences Menu together?

I mean like this at preferences Menu;

OpenCL devices:
[ ] Quadro K4000 ( bla bla )
[ ] GTX Titan ( bla bla )

and enable both. And disable two CPU core becaouse I Will have two GPU.

Is this scenerio avalibale?

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
yes it is possible to enable BOTH cards.......  8)

but for best AGI performance, use AMD card say 7970 or 290X.
the Titan has only one pros, 6 GB RAM, but that is used only for viewing, not calculations inside AGI. Even better is it with 780Ti card. its faster and has lower price as Titan.......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

oxiabit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
yes it is possible to enable BOTH cards.......  8)

but for best AGI performance, use AMD card say 7970 or 290X.
the Titan has only one pros, 6 GB RAM, but that is used only for viewing, not calculations inside AGI. Even better is it with 780Ti card. its faster and has lower price as Titan.......

Thank you.

So, You mean it is also possible to work nvida quadro and AMD graphic card together. right?

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »
yes, and this is wonderfully arranged, as not every app can use both  manufacturer in one system :-D

as i say AMD have upper hand in performance in AGI......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

oxiabit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »
I am very Glad wishgranter.

This informations are perfect for me. Because We are really looking for best solution to be able to produce orthophotos by using our UAV. Sometimes we are gonna scan over 300 hectar area.

By the way wishgranter;

Correct me If I am wrong, I know that dese cloud process is the step which GPU is most responsible. Right?

other steps, (allgin photos, mesh and buid texture) are responsible by CPU. Right?

that means, Alligne photos performance is not about GPU.

These are what I understood from this forum.

Correct me If I am wrong.

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 10:40:57 PM »
Yes, only the Dense Cloud generation uses the GPU. And the second part of this phase (the depth map filtering) is run on the CPU only and also takes quite some time.

So having a fast CPU is very important.