Forum

Author Topic: Face scanner - Prototype  (Read 54499 times)

Mfranquelo

• View Profile
Re: Face scanner - Prototype
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »
FLuca - Thank you!, Yes, the next prototype will be fixed to the wall. This very first one was built on the floor for simplying sake

Mfranquelo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 05:38:54 PM »
Hello,
I just wanted to share with you a routed physical test, geometry from agisoft as you know, and retouched a little bit with Zbrush.
Its not life size, the next text will be 1:1 :)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:40:40 PM by Mfranquelo »

Mr_Curious

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »
Awesome!

Cheers,

MC

Brian33433

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2014, 09:47:15 AM »
Just curious, anyone know how ShapeShot by Direct Dimensions is pulling of such great ear to ear models with 4 cameras. I had a chance to have a picture taken at the makerbot store in NY when they had it, all 4 cams take one shot and its perfect. I was shocked. I attached my ugly mug  :)

Mr_Curious

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
Just curious, anyone know how ShapeShot by Direct Dimensions is pulling of such great ear to ear models with 4 cameras. I had a chance to have a picture taken at the makerbot store in NY when they had it, all 4 cams take one shot and its perfect. I was shocked. I attached my ugly mug  :)

LOL!  For the record, Direct Dimensions isn't doing anything special whatsoever... nor is there anything special about their "system".  DD's shapeshot system is based on the system built by Dimensional Imaging http://www.di3d.com/index.php.  All DD has done is bolt a fancy cover on their system, put their logo on it and attach a flash.  The reason the DD system can do it with 4 cameras and get great results is because in reality it is actually a Dimensional Imaging system and that requires you to pre-calibrate the system before using it.  The system calibration is the crucial factor...along with the fact that the Dimensional Imaging system uses active photogrammetry rather than passive.

Cheers,

MC
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:02:36 PM by Mr_Curious »

gulipin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 06:53:12 PM »
Any chances to improve PS and make a system with calibration panel?

Mr_Curious

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »
Any chances to improve PS and make a system with calibration panel?

Well obviously that's a question for the Agisoft developers but as with all things there are pro's and con's to both methods.  From my point of view, one of the best aspects of Agisoft is the very fact that a lengthy calibration process is NOT necessary in order to scan... this is a HUGE time saver, especially when you are working with talent on location somewhere.  Also, remember that a system where pre-calibration is required is often far less flexible... you can only work within a very specific volume/range and you are stuck with that.  Yes, it would be interesting if Agisoft also had the ability to use a specific calibration...but then again, it might be somewhat limiting in other ways.  I've used active/passive photogrammetry systems by Dimensional Imaging, 3DMD and others... in fact both INFINITE and Ten24 also have had direct experience with Dimensional Imaging... and notice that both of them are also using Agisoft, so I think that speaks pretty clearly.   I also have an active photogrammetry machine that uses pre-calibration and I prefer the no calibration needed, passive Agisoft way of working myself.  It really all depends on what you need to achieve... again, pro's and con's to everything and every system... there is no one one size fits all solution....yet.

Cheers,

MC
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:51:11 PM by Mr_Curious »

Brian33433

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 06:40:01 AM »
Interesting, I'm just starting out, so I only ask because as I was reading this thread I saw he has six cameras and wasn't getting the ears and he was getting two more cameras for the ears. As I am trying to set up a system to get an output like theres was curious how many cameras I would actually need, and what the best cameras are to use. Any help would be great

Mr_Curious

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
Interesting, I'm just starting out, so I only ask because as I was reading this thread I saw he has six cameras and wasn't getting the ears and he was getting two more cameras for the ears. As I am trying to set up a system to get an output like theres was curious how many cameras I would actually need, and what the best cameras are to use. Any help would be great

Ok, I'm not trying to be a pain, but honestly, the answer to this question is the more cameras you can have the better.  If you are scanning humans then the problem will always be depth-of-field and occlusion and the only way to currently combat those issues are with more cameras... you simply can't have too many.  So start off with a few and just keep building up your rig, little by little.

BTW - there are lots of threads on this forum with the topic of how many cameras has been discussed many, many times so you may want to search for more information.  20 - 30 cameras is a good range for heads... for bodies anything over 50 cameras generally and even better if you can double that number.  Of course, you can always shoot your subjects on a turntable, which can reduce the number of cameras needed... but then you have to deal with all the problems associated with movement... not to mention it makes it very hard if not impossible to shoot dynamic poses which sort of defeats the whole purpose of a photogrammetry based rig anyway.

Once again, my advice is to just build up your rig/equipment overtime... little by little.  Before you know it, you will have reached your goals.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

MC

FLuca

• View Profile
    • Another-me
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
Brian33433 as an example, I have just started to set up a rig with 6 fixed cam with flash synchronisation
I get nice result for the front face, but the ears and back of the jaws are clearly missing details
I have tried assembling some chunks with photos taken with my head turned side to side but the alignement between chunk was not perfect and I will have to manually remove the gap between chunks as you can see in the attachement
12 cams seems the minimum for the face including ears (only front side of the ears)
good luck with your rig
Fred Lucazeau - Body Scan - www.another-me.fr
Sketchfab gallery: https://sketchfab.com/fredlucazeau

Mfranquelo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
Dear all,

I just wanted to share some updates on my lasts scans.. im working really hard to improve them

- Im implementing noise projection using 2 strobes on the next few weeks.
- I have to improve lighting
- Highpass is working nicely in some areas, but not on others. I heard infinite tried to contact disney research lab, are they willing to sell their mesoscopic algorithm ?

(raw scan from Agisoft, just applied texture bump)
- Anyways im quite happy!

Cheers!

Mr_Curious

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 08:30:37 PM »

- Anyways im quite happy!

Cheers!

You should be -- really nice result!

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

MC

Brian33433

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »
I see your getting the ears now, how many cameras are you up to?

Mfranquelo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »
8 cameras, just added two more on the sides.

Brian33433

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 10:55:19 PM »
  • Mfranquelo, like the simplicity of your rig, any new photos of it? have you mounted it on the wall yet?
  • General question, why does everyone use caps for the head, does it not render hair well?

B.