Forum

Author Topic: Sony qx-100 suggestion camera for UAV  (Read 8533 times)

marco79

• View Profile
Sony qx-100 suggestion camera for UAV
« on: December 19, 2013, 07:25:55 PM »
hi all,
i'm considering to buy a small drone (http://www.idea-fly.com/en/products.asp?ID=15) due to budget problems. What do you think about this camera http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dsc-qx-series/dsc-qx10/technical-specifications#tab
it allows you to have a remote live view on a simple smartphone and its weight is about 100g. it looks good for cheaper UAVs. But what about the results with Potoscan considering the camera lens?
Unfortunatly as i said my budget is quite low, with something like 700 euros i could get Uav and camera...but i need your suggestions about the latter.
Thanks a lot.
Bests

3DFranz

• View Profile
Re: Sony qx-100 suggestion camera for UAV
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »
Hi Marco,

if you want to make just fotos, you can use this camera.
If you want to process them in Agisoft, i recommend you to buy a camera with fix focal lenght.

:)

marco79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »
Thanks a lot for the reply. You mean that with that camera i cannot get any resuts or bad results? Im looking for a compact camera wich can be suitable for Photoscan. Can you suggest me one or can you help me to understand which are the criteria i have to consider. By your reply i got that fix focal lenght lens is a must, right?
Thanks a lot again.
Best

d.portillo@habitatea.es

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »
Hi, I have one qx100, I don?t like zooms, but for a cheap and small multicopter I think this is a good option. My results are very nice, better than sony nex c3 with pancake.
You can see some processed photos here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=659479167407726&set=a.659476794074630.1073741833.195281037160877&type=1&theater

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »
I know nothing about scanning with UAVs... my only experience is with scanning people and objects.
I have used kit zoom lens on Canon,Nikon and Samsung and have not had any major problems... I do appreciate that in an Ideal world you would use Prime lens all the time, but this can also have implications for camera position and FOV.

Personally I find these new "Lens Cams " from Sony quite interesting.... unfortunately Sony have done what everyone else has and made it near impossible to connect/control/download with multiple cameras (Not a problem for UAV work I presume!).

Why do all these "WiFi social network/post your every minute to FB!! Cameras) work as being a Hotspot you connect to ? 
Why can't it be the other way round ? 
The camera should connect to a WiFi hotspot instead of actually being one... surely that way it would be easy to control a multi cam rig...
Sorry off topic there.

I think you should maybe buy one camera to test with AGIsoft.. it is the only way you will know for sure as I don't imagine anyone else has tried that camera with Photoscan yet.... If it doesn't work sell it on Ebay.

Cheers,
mala

edit ...ah well there you go..someone does have experience with this camera !

marco79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »
Then Portillo do you suggest this camera to me? what's your experience? Any problem with Photoscan? 
Actually i dont think i'm going to deal with very large sites as yours (by the way they look very nice, have you published any pictures of the 3d models).
At the moment im concerned how to take pictures of medium-size structures (5 meters tall for example) or 10x10m excavation trenches. i might use a pole but i think a small UAV  is more versatile.
Thank you all.
Best
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:38:30 PM by marco79 »

d.portillo@habitatea.es

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 02:32:25 AM »
Sorry for delay, I hadn't any problem with qx100 photos in photoscan. Very nice image cuality with a low colour and geometrical distorsion (for that price and weight). The problem of this device is the trigger control, I had to disassembled the camera for customize it.