Forum

Author Topic: Interior scan  (Read 13079 times)

bartosh44

Interior scan
« on: January 04, 2014, 06:53:03 PM »
I`m trying to scan interior (factory ruins) with Canon 550d and 30mm fixed lens. My scanned interior room is about 30m x 10m x 4m.

I`m doing raw (cr2) converted to 32 bit exr exported from newest Photomatix. Photomatix 5 can do 32 bit pseudo hdr from one raw photo. It delete my exeif so I put all data from jpg inside Photoscan (camera calibration). I have question about focal lenght. It`s 30mm and I wrote it like that. But when I`ve read Photoscan Manual there is sentence: "50 mm (35 mm film equivalent)" and I`ve thought that is full frame and my camera frame is: 30mm x 1.524 (Canon-EOS 550D) = 45,72mm. Now I don`t know should I place real 30mm and Photoscan recalulate it to crop size when I set up pixel size: 0.0044036 (fx,fy=6812.61, cx=2048, cy=3072) or should I wrote recalculated one: 45,72mm (this is full frame size 35 mm film equivalent).

Second question is about Capturing Scenario graphs from Manual. There is Interior way to do that but I don`t know how to do angle view on corners. Should I make there many photos with small angle size or only one angle shot becouse that areas should be on flat side views.

Third question is about what if that circle interior proper scenario graph with having wall behind your back is not covering whole room (ground or ceiling or walls). Which place, position and angles should I choose for making that additionary photos. Without using wide angle lens it`s difficult to cover all area (only maybe for me ;) ).

Next question is about adding photos in vertical panorama to cover whole room. It`s better in that case do vertical or horizontal photos and pan it vertically on tripod to cover whole room (30mm is covering only walls without room).

When I did photos randomly with covering last and next photo space (mixing vertical and horizontal without tripod) there was too less matching points for good geometry. But in that case it may be noise from ISO (400).

David Cockey

• View Profile
Re: Interior scan
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:25:53 AM »
Using "32 bit pseudo hdr from one raw photo" is no better then using 16 bit TIFF from RAW. Depending on the how the "32 pseudo hdr" is generated the result may even be worse for PhotoScan.

Your Canon 550D captures 12 bits per pixel in RAW, and processing the photos to generate 32 bit photos does not add any information. Use 16 bit TIFFs which will contain the 12 bit data available in the RAWs, and keep the EXIF information. I have a Canon 500D and use 16 bit TIFFs as my standard input into PhotoScan. I have converted RAW to 16 bit TIFF for PhotoScan using Canon Digital Photo Professional (included on the disk which came with the camera), Lightroom and OpticsPro.

A 30 mm focal length lens on a Canon 550D is equivalent to a 48 mm lens on a full frame 35 mm camera. Sensor size of 550D is 22.3mm x 14.9mm which results in a crop factor of 1.61 = 36/22.3 = 24/14.9. 1.524 is the crop factor of a Nikon DX.

bartosh44

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
Thank you for sharing your workflow. That crop calculation told me Autopano Pro (info tab with displaying 550d camera settings - so there is an error).

Please tell me should I left 30mm (auto detect TIFF exeif) or fill that data manually as 48mm?

bartosh44

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »
Thanks for your tips. I`ve reached something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LptKbZMZvU

I have to clarify also that my mesh is done pure in Photoscan + Zbrush for presenting it inside WebGL . Without any external software. I had question about similair game technology trailer in factory. It`s different technology (which I don`t know) and I`ve never worked with that technology. I`ve rent my mesh only to present WebGL engine to external company. Please do not mix both things. If anyone have any question I will answer public.

bartosh44

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »
http://goote.ch/3a039651d2ea4e309bb32dc0578c12aa.project/ You can see that mesh inside amazing Goo Engine (open beta stage). I`ve made retopology of that mesh and put it inside that Game Engine.
You can walk through the scene WASD keys and RMB+drag to pan view. I`ve mirrored that mesh to allow walk around. I`ve not done collisions with walls yet but it`s possible. That engine may not work well inside safari webbrowser. What do you think about it?

This is ruined room inside URSUS factory in Lublin. Very nice place for paintball. I`ve almost got hit when I did this scan.

Please feel free to comment it becouse lately I`ve strange feeling that all my post are ignored and I really can`t find any reason why. Please left here any critique also. It`s first test with that technology for me and any comments are really important to me from your community.  I`ve bought this amazing soft not only for best scanning engine but also for community support and opinions.

If your reaction has something common with company which rented from me my mesh please do not blame freelancer for their clients fault becouse its unfair.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:04:38 PM by bartosh44 »

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 09:23:46 PM »
http://goote.ch/3a039651d2ea4e309bb32dc0578c12aa.project/ You can see that mesh inside amazing Goo Engine (open beta stage). I`ve made retopology of that mesh and put it inside that Game Engine.
You can walk through the scene WASD keys and RMB+drag to pan view. I`ve mirrored that mesh to allow walk around. I`ve not done collisions with walls yet but it`s possible. That engine may not work well inside safari webbrowser. What do you think about it?

This is ruined room inside URSUS factory in Lublin. Very nice place for paintball. I`ve almost got hit when I did this scan.

Please feel free to comment it becouse lately I`ve strange feeling that all my post are ignored and I really can`t find any reason why. Please left here any critique also. It`s first test with that technology for me and any comments are really important to me from your community.  I`ve bought this amazing soft not only for best scanning engine but also for community support and opinions.

If your reaction has something common with company which rented from me my mesh please do not blame freelancer for their clients fault becouse its unfair.

It looks nice (on you tube). Depending on your needs and goals (for game engine/project) i think you are getting very good results. If you plan on baking Normal/Displacement maps you need noise-less solution otherwise there will be alot of clean up.
If you can show Sold view and cameras positions in Photoscan people here might give you more tips.

Admir

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 10:43:30 PM »
I agree, it's very well done!

Not many people are doing interior scans I think, so that is probably why you are not getting much feedback.

bartosh44

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:25:32 AM »
Thanks. It was test only. I wanted to use it in WebGL engine. After exporting from Agisoft i made retopo in Modo with new UV and then I did project all in Zbrush. After that I reimported that again to Agisoft to project texture on mesh. I did also normals in zbrush and mixed it with normals made by Ndo2 from photo but it is not visible on that material. Glass was made in Modo.

Attreyu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 08:01:43 PM »
Hi Marcin,

How did you took the shots of the interior and what settings did you use in Photoscan to recreate the mesh ?

Thanks,