Forum

Author Topic: Long Processing time  (Read 5914 times)

ricky4207

• View Profile
Long Processing time
« on: January 16, 2014, 01:05:39 AM »
I'm fairly new to photoscan and my dense point cloud creation is taking an incredible amount of time, is there any way to cut this down significantly?  My computer has 16gb ram with a 2gb video card and an i7 processor, so not incredibly good, but not terrible.  Also a bit about my setup, I'm shooting 120 frames total using a turntable setup with 5 5dmkii cameras.  the turntable stops 24 times and fires and fires all five cameras simultaneously at each stop.  Shooting on white seamless background, full length shots of people at 50mm.

Alignment of the images only took about 30 minutes or so, however when i create a dense point cloud on "high" quality or whatever, it seems like it's going to take 10+ hours.  This is fine if i know the final product will come out great, but while testing it is a serious bummer having to wait this long and potentially come up with a crappy model.  I understand that lowering the quality will work faster, but i want the highest quality possible. Any ideas or suggestions to help speed up the process?

Thanks!!!!

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Long Processing time
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:37:13 AM »
Add a second GPU best if 7970 or 290 ( 290 is just rebranded 7970 card ) it will speed the process of DEPHT map and PointCloud generation.
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:38:17 AM »
Hello ricky4207,

Please check in your system monitor that the process has not gone to swap. If there is not sufficient memory you'll need to lower the quality.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

David Cockey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 04:48:22 AM »
Hello ricky4207,

Please check in your system monitor that the process has not gone to swap. If there is not sufficient memory you'll need to lower the quality.

Or sub-divide the model after aligning the photos into several chunks.

I've been using Open Hardware Monitor shareware to monitor system usage including memory with Windows. Not perfect but it does record maximum usage since last reset.

How long does Dense Cloud generation with Low and Medium quality take?

Also, check that GPU usage is enabled in Preference - OpenGL. The appropriate box needs to be checked.

What graphics card / GPU do you have?

ricky4207

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 06:17:02 AM »
About my computer:

mid 2011 27-inch imac
3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB

Additionally I run my OS and apps off a SSD (120GB OCZ-vertex3)

Also I do have GPU usage enabled.  I will try low and medium quality after high finishes.

chadfx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:53:21 AM »
I have almost the same setup as you, and I've found that Photoscan does not like this GPU for some reason. (I keep getting GPU processing failed errors @ depth generation).

I'd definitely recommend bumping up to 32Gb since the iMac can support it, and that should help quite a bit for the number of photos you're using. I think the Mac version seems to handle swapping fairly well (ie. it doesn't crash much or lock up your machine); however it certainly will increase processing time quite a bit. So doubling up your memory could be a big help. The somewhat small capacity of your SSD also might not be helpful if it is close to capacity. I have seen a big process in Photoscan  that has gone over to swapping gobble up my remaining system disk space.

I do get some long render times still (around your times in some cases), but I will usually start with a low or medium quality build just to make sure everything is basically working, and then go for the slow cook hires version.