Forum

Author Topic: Max cameras per computer over USB  (Read 33326 times)

tommyboy

• View Profile
Max cameras per computer over USB
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:56:02 AM »
Hi all, coming up against the USB max devices problem here in building out our array.

We have been using 12 cameras connected to a single Windows 8 machine, works great.  However upon plugging in a 13th camera, Windows 8 rejects it, citing "Not Enough USB Controller Resources".  I suspect that each camera is getting allocated a certain amount of USB bandwidth, and because the cameras only connect via USB 2.0, they run out of the needed bandwidth rather quickly.

To compensate, I got a PCI-e USB 3.0 controller card, hoping that a dedicated card might fare better, or at least allow another 12 to be connected.  However the card only allowed 7 more cameras to be connected before throwing up the same error.  Which seems bizarre, since the PCIe x1 slot that it's in should have adequate bandwidth available to it (500Mbps) that USB 2.0 requires (480Mbps)...could it be the B85 chipset on the motherboard coming up short somehow?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17Z-0002-00002

Unfortunately I am unable to conclusively confirm the exact problem on my Windows 8 machine, as I cannot find a utility for querying each device's bandwidth allocation (it used to be conveniently available in Win7's Device Manager).  Does anyone have a favorite utility for checking this in Windows 8?

The above aside, is everyone just going the 12 cameras per computer route, using minimal machines, and having them all write to a shared network location?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:57:55 AM by tommyboy »

blmvnew

• View Profile
Re: Max cameras per computer over USB
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:28:40 AM »
Hi Tommyboy,

I am using 38 x Camers on one PC through USB hub.
It is not 100% work, but higher than 80%.

blmvnew

fabberlounge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »
Hi,

It really depends on your USB hub and the length of the cables... we are working with a network of simple windows 7 computer and 18 cameras each, that is a reliable solution. Just make sure your USB cable length differs not too much, esp. the connection betwen USB hub and computer. Its a bit of trial and error, but with your hardware you should be able to connect more than 12 cameras..

Andreas, fabberlounge.com
Yes, we scan !

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:52:16 AM »
The msg of to much devices is caused by USB3 problems. what MoBo CPU you use ? if Intel then you stuck on intel mess with USB3 implementation.  put the USB3 hub in USB 2 connector, then it should work.... We got same problems with USB3. Intel is working on new drivers ( over 2+ years ) and as have read in october they solved this issue, but you need to download new drivers from INTEL site, not over Win Update.... try it and let us know......   
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Exhale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:48:31 AM »
Hi,
The limit you will have is the number of cameras that can be connected over USB to a single computer. To ensure the connection is reliable, you need to use good quality cables and hubs. It is very good to use adapter powered USB hubs. For 12 or more cameras it is possible to use a single computer, but I would normally recommend use multiple computers when the number gets that high. There is a good example, Lee is using multiple computers with adapter powered USB 3.0 hubs to maximise the transfer rate and minimise the risk ;)

Thanks,

Subunderground

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:28:33 PM »
We have 86 cameras plugged into one PC. Powered repeater USB cables and fairly cheap 10 port USB hubs...You have to keep an eye on it but is pretty stable 90% of the time, sometimes have to unplug a camera and plug it back in again if ones dropped.. Better solution is small format PCs to replace the HUBs all networked back to the main PC. Something for the future.

tommyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:00:08 AM »
Thanks so much everyone for the quick and helpful replies!  The machine has Intel B85 Express chipset and Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, so it is probably having the problems you are referring to Wishgranter.  The PCIe card I bought has a VIA USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, which sounds suspiciously similar to the Intel, so is probably why it has the same problems, even using VIA's driver.

Using USB 2.0 hubs or plugging into the USB 2.0 ports helps us add a few devices, but just a few.  The connections show up under the same Intel USB 3.0 controller even when plugged into USB 2.0 ports, so I think we are screwed without a clever driver hack, or installing Windows 7. 

My Win7 laptop happily accepts 24 devices with no signs of stopping, and says that each camera reserves just 1% of system bandwidth.  This is the case for both its Intel USB 2.0 controller, and separate AsMedia USB 3.0 controller (except it does not show bandwidth usage).  Looks like it is our Smart Shooter machine for now!

Is anyone who is having success using a Win8 machine?  If so, what motherboard/USB 3.0 controller are you running?

tommyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:53:38 PM »
Update: we bought a generic SIIG PCIe card at Fry's, which shows up in Win 8 as a "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller".  It maxed out at 22 devices when plugging in a USB 3.0 hub directly, but when plugging in a USB 2.0 hub directly, we are at 25 devices and counting.  So it looks like we'll be okay, thanks all!  Still getting Win7 on the next machine though.

Suprasaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
Hi,
       This forum turned up in a search for looking for ways to use multiple webcams for recording video. I would like to run 10-12 video cameras if possible. I have some software that can take inputs from that many cameras but most people using Vidblaster are using IP cameras or professional cameras. I want to use webcams because they are inexpensive even for HD and very small in size. I have been able to get 4 cameras to work so far. They are all different usb HD cameras with different drivers. The software doesn't see 2 from the same driver -- I think -- or I couldn't get it to work.

I am curious at to your use of so many cameras. I have read some about the photo scan function. Are you using your many usb cameras for still images only and does that give you better data capture? more angles or better resolution?

If anyone here has any more ideas on the hardware I would love to read them. I am going to try some of the stuff already mentioned in this thread.

poorveshmistry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 08:33:40 PM »
Hi Tommyboy,

I am using 38 x Camers on one PC through USB hub.
It is not 100% work, but higher than 80%.

blmvnew

Hi blmvnew,

how have you setup 38 cameras on one PC ? please share poorveshmistry@gmail.com

Regards
Poorvesh Mistry

pbourke

• View Profile
    • Personal/professional web site
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 07:43:44 AM »
We have 86 cameras plugged into one PC. Powered repeater USB cables and fairly cheap 10 port USB hubs...You have to keep an eye on it but is pretty stable 90% of the time, sometimes have to unplug a camera and plug it back in again if ones dropped.. Better solution is small format PCs to replace the HUBs all networked back to the main PC. Something for the future.

What products please?
Photographic reconstruction portfolio
http://paulbourke.net/reconstruction/portfolio/

pbourke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 01:21:59 PM »
This 30 port unit looks interesting
    http://www.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6452
Anyone tried it?

pbourke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 10:41:58 AM »
I recently did this
     http://paulbourke.net/reconstruction/humanscan2/
Used 3 x 20 ports USB hubs from SIPolar.
     http://www.sipolar.com/page172.html?product_id=13
But I'm on Apple, MacBookPro.
Not mounting the the cameras as mass storage but using PTP, there are some nice libraries like gphoto2 for dealing with these.