Forum

Author Topic: Still about GoPro and cheap UAV  (Read 18866 times)

Diego ROn

• View Profile
Re: Still about GoPro and cheap UAV
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 04:57:55 PM »
so, few updates :)

Lehman sent me the dataset, soon I'll share part of it since it's over 290 photos big.....

the photos allign, the overlap and sidelap quality it's good, but the point cloud is full of noise, soon I'll perform undestorting routine with Photoshop and compare the result :)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:02:45 PM by Diego ROn »

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 06:04:34 AM »
How did you guys go with the gopro mod?  Looking to use the same tech for some very remotely flown wilderness uav stuff.  Is the rolling shutter causing the noise? Would be keen to hear how you went.  PM if you would like to discuss further.

Many Thanks

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
so, few updates :)

Lehman sent me the dataset, soon I'll share part of it since it's over 290 photos big.....

the photos allign, the overlap and sidelap quality it's good, but the point cloud is full of noise, soon I'll perform undestorting routine with Photoshop and compare the result :)

It looks like your photos are too close together. When there is not enough distance between the cameras, the precision of the depth reconstruction suffers.

Also, you might want to try masking the outer edges of the photos (the corners of the photo tend to be blurrier).

Ben4UAV

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 08:43:30 AM »
Hello everybody. For those of you thinking of buying a Lehman Aviation product:
I have field experience over 12 countries with their aircrafts (mainly LP960) as their Global UAV Instructor and I can help you. Please visit Ben4UAV.com and contact me on my email: Ben4UAV@gmail.com for unbiased advice.

Patribus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »
Hi Diego ROn...
Just today I tested the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition on an esacopter...
I noticed that the photos are very distorted (12 Mpx - Wide), and the software is able to align them but you do not appreciate the differences in altitude...
I get much better results if I apply to the photos the Lens Correction performed in Photoshop CS6...
I complete workflow without any GCP (both aerial and terrestrial...)
I attach below some screenshots...
Bye

Hi piste,
can you please explain which steps you went trough to perform lens correction in PS CS6? Beacause my GoPro images are not corrected at all.

Thnaks

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 11:10:35 AM »
Hi All

New to the forum here, and relatively new to Photoscan. I ran a test using a GoPro on a painters pole to see how well I could get it to work on a couple of large statues either side of a doorway.  After earlier trials I decided on just using the normal FOV on the GoPro rather than the wide, but I still got a lot of noise around the edges.  After looking around at other photogrammetry projects I decided to do a test on a simpler subject (brick wall with bluestone cobblestones in a laneway to try and see if Photoscan could calculate  a reasonable set of distortion parameters.  Whilst not a precise mehodology, you can at least assess the quality of the result by the flatness of the wall and the amount of noise away from the surface of the wall and ground.

• 3 rows of photos so that the edges of one row overlapped the centre of the next.
  • Align images in Photoscan and look at the calculated camera calibration.
  • Repeat 3 time with camera roll angles of -90, 0 and 90°

The resulting point cloud looked pretty good compared to my previous tests so I saved the lens calibration. I then loaded the images of the statues and re-ran the workflow with the new lens calibration. The resulting model was much better although noise is still a problem.

Not sure that I'd use the GoPro for aerial work though. you'd have to fly pretty low to get decent resolution, but that depends on the application I guess.

thesystemera

• View Profile
    • realityvirtual
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 05:33:06 AM »
I'm very interested to see if we can use this also. I was just going to buy a bigger platform which could support the payload of a decent DSLR (Canon 600d to be precise), but for the purpose of funding, would be great if we could derive some results from our current Phantom 2 with GoPrho Here3+

What process is required for lens celebration and settings for the GoPro itself. Would be forever greatful for some insight on this. :D
Simon Che de Boer @ http://www.realityvirtual.co/