Forum

Author Topic: Decimate mesh by tolerance  (Read 5783 times)

Thomas_Steffen

• View Profile
Decimate mesh by tolerance
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:51 PM »
Hello,

it would be greate, if I could decimate my model by tolerance, instead of telling Photoscan a final poly count.
In former times, I've used Geomagic. There, you have two options for decimating a mesh.
The first is to tell Geomagic a final poly count (like in Photoscan).
The second option is much better. You can tell Geomagic to decimate the mesh until the geometry begins to differ from a user defined tolerance.

Here is a picture:
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3523/ztigqpm7_jpg.htm

Greetings
Thomas

Marcel

• View Profile
Re: Decimate mesh by tolerance
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:14:05 AM »
That would be a very useful feature. How would you set the scale of the mesh though? (I'm using the Standard version of Agisoft, perhaps this is possible in the Professional version).

Also, I would like to be able to filter/decimate the Dense Point cloud as well. That way you can make the meshing even lighter (hopefully with less of an impact to the quality).

Thomas_Steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:09:13 PM »
How would you set the scale of the mesh though? (I'm using the Standard version of Agisoft, perhaps this is possible in the Professional version).

Hello marcel,

I've tested the 30-day demo version of Photoscan Professional. There you can georeference your model by entering the coordinates of reference points.
I'm a surveyor and in my example, I surveyed the reference points with the help of a tacheometer.
Then, Photoscan shows you a standard deviation of the measured points.

someDude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:47:19 AM »
I have a similar concern and would like to suggest "local mesh decimation". For example, one could simply decimate the mesh based on a selection, the same way one is deleting unwanted artefacts (free-form selection etc.)

When scanning small objects, I have found that sometimes I need a fine mesh to keep some details, while on other parts of the same model I'm getting a blisterish, bubbly surface with this fine mesh, so a smoother one would be better. So far I found a compromise, but it involves changing the model. This won't always work.

Thank you for your consideration.