Forum

Author Topic: advice about using Canon S100 for UAV maping  (Read 12355 times)

Charly

• View Profile
advice about using Canon S100 for UAV maping
« on: January 07, 2014, 12:23:08 AM »
 :) hello all.

I am trying to use the S100 for UAV mapping.

I can get a good result because the images are blurry.

can anyone help me, what is the best configuration for camera ?

Is there a better camera for this purpose ?

thank you !

Charly

• View Profile
Re: advice about using Canon S100 for UAV maping
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:34:37 AM »
attached is a sample of what i am talking about.

as you can see the image is very blurry.

I am currently shooting in auto mode and I don't know much about this camera...

any help will be appreciate.

mobilexcopter

• View Profile
    • mobileXcopter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
Hello Charly,

auto mode is not an optimal mode to use for the puropose. I don't own it, so I can not give you detailed info, but try to use Tv (shutter priority) or M  (manual settings) and use faster shutter times - 1/800, 1/1000, 1/1250, 1/1600, depending of the platform (plane, multirotor). Well, travelling speed of the platform.  :)

There are better cameras for the purpose, but it depends on what type of platform you are using them. There are several posts here that have very usefull info so I sugesst you check them out.

Best regards,

Alex

dvdsam0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:24 AM »
Hi All
The S100 seems to be a good starting point, I would also be interested in your recommendations for a better camera (Canon), that works well with Agisoft.

The vibration from a multi-rotor could be causing some of the blur. What dampening have you used?

RonaldWe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »
Hi Charly,

there is a very usefull script for Canon cameras: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/KAP_%26_UAV_Exposure_Control_Script

Using it on a kite and pole I end up with much more useable photographs than in auto mode.

When using the Canon you should take photos in RAW format. It gives better (more accurate model, better texture) results than the jpg that are automatically lens distortion corrected, which is what PhotoScan can do better I think.

Best
Ronald

chadfx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »
Wow, thanks for that script link, Ronald. It looks like it has a perfect combo of settings.

I've gotten some decent results from a Canon A3300IS on a DJI Phantom, but having a bit more control than the basic CHDK setup would be a big help, especially with variable lighting situations.

I've just used a basic anti-jello platform for the camera mount, no fancy gimbals, etc. If I keep the movement relatively stable and smooth, I can use shutter times as low as around 1/150 sec. RAW is definitely a must, but shot to shot times are somewhat slow on my cam. Still very happy with the results in Photoscan!

andyroo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »
I have shot from a UAV with A2200, balloon/kite with SD1400 and from Cessna 172 with D10, all using variations on a CHDK intervalometer script I developed (on the shoulders of others). There are minor differences in the cameras and the script needs tweaking for each camera for the right focus mode settings to focus to infinity. I only have the D10 script handy right now (script attached) but here's what I do:

1. Set camera in P or M mode to use the script (depends on camera)
2. In Extra Photo Operations do the following (and make sure that extra photo operations are functional, the setting varies by camera, refer to CHDK to figure it out):
  a) disable neutral density filter (this makes sure all images are always similar brightness)
  b) set jpg quality override to high quality (I've never used RAW)
  c) set ISO override to preferred setting (I don't go higher than 200 with these small sensors)
  d) set shutter speed - generally I shoot at 1/1600ish (some are 1/1500) BUT if the weather is overcast I'll back down to 1/1250 w/ ISO 200
3. get the script dialed in for your specific camera. I have one done for the A2200, but it's at home. dunno about the S100. Check out the D10 script and see if you can go from there.

I didn't realize that RAW gives significantly better quality images than JPG. Will have to try that sometime...

chadfx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:31:56 AM »
I would highly recommend doing a couple of quick comparisons with JPEG vs. RAW in something like Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop/Bridge. I have found a bit more 'tweakability' in the images, especially if you are shooting in highly variable or other less than ideal conditions.

It also looks like script that Ronald linked to has some really nice flexibility, like ranges of acceptable ISO, shutter speeds, etc. So you can still get a bit of equalized exposures without anything outside your allowable parameters. Plus it can set most of the other parameters you are usually changing:

user defined preferred values for Tv, Sv, Av
user defined ranges of Tv, Sv, Av to use
ND filter can be enabled to engage on high brightness
sophisticated exposure calculations
all input and output values displayed in "real" camera terms rather than APEX96 values
intervalometer
startup delay
camera power off after shooting completes
exposure compensation
focus lock at infinity
preset zoom position
turn off display backlight
shooting enable / disable via USB remote signal
configurable for cameras with or without adjustable iris and ND filter
logging