Forum

Author Topic: Footwear Chunk Alignment Questions  (Read 7313 times)

BizzleZ

• View Profile
Footwear Chunk Alignment Questions
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:45 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to do a scan of some footwear, and I am getting amazing results with the footwear on a stand.  I get amazing scans of the upper, but then I need to scan the outsole also.  Can I turn the shoe upside down, take the photos, process the mesh, and then align the meshes from the upper and the outsole so that they fit together?  What have others done in order to get this accomplished?  Thanks for the help!

Exhale

• View Profile
Re: Footwear Chunk Alignment Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »
Hi BizzleZ,

if you take some photos like shown below, you won't need to merge ...etc.
PhotoScan must align the photos. 

Good luck,

BizzleZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:13:35 AM »
What setup did you use to get pictures of the outsole?  Did you hang the shoe from a line so that you could get underneath it?  Did you scan it upside down?

Exhale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:21:13 AM »
Mate,

Vertical,  horizontal,  upside- down position .....etc.   Those camera positions don't matter in this case.
Just keep the photos original.  PhotoScan will recognize each pixel and it will align the photos.
Making overlap is important. %20 - %30 overlap is needed.

BizzleZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:49:28 AM »
Thanks for the help.   :D  So I should be able to scan a shoe upright to get the upper, then do another scan with the shoe upside down, then align the chunks?  Would I need to mask out the background so that it doesn't see parts that would mess up orientation?  I've done this without the masking, and it sees the stand and puts the outsole scan upside down...just like it should.  Trying to avoid that. Thanks again!

khryst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 06:08:26 AM »
I've had pretty good success shooting the underside shots up through a pane of very clean, very clear glass. You have to take great care not to get reflections across the shoe in question, but it's worked for me. The problem with trying to rotate the shoe and shoot bottom shots is deformation of the shoe, and yes the background remaining constant with only the shoe being rotated is likely to cause issues

I'm still perfecting my process of course :) But I'm happy with my progress thus far!

BizzleZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »
Really great results!  I'll have to give that a shot!  Looks like a pretty simple setup.  I notice that your images are distributed very evenly around the shoe in Photoscan.  Are you using a multi-camera rig?

khryst

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:25:30 PM »
Thanks!

I'm using a single camera on a motorized rig.

It was originaly 180 photos, I removed half and wound up with better alignment and mesh results.

hadiyana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 08:28:49 AM »
Hi khryst,

Nice work you did with the shoe. Lots of pictures to process for a single shoe. What camera you used? How did you distribute position of camera using the rig? Every 10 cm or else?

-asep

khryst

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 06:33:10 PM »
It's angle-based, every X number of degrees

pagan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »
of course you can
I did it for my columns, however I will advice you to put some real markers, see this problem:
http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=1997.0

if you can do it  all at once, I could not because I can not really hang some of 20 capitels weighting about 70 kilos each  ;)