Forum

Author Topic: New book chapter on orthophoto production with PhotoScan Pro  (Read 6158 times)

gEEvEE

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
New book chapter on orthophoto production with PhotoScan Pro
« on: January 31, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »
Dear PhotoScan users,

For a recently published book on non-invasive archaeological survey methods (http://www.springer.com/social+sciences/anthropology+%26+archaeology/book/978-3-319-01783-9), the editors asked me to give an overview of the most recent ways of turning archaeological aerial photographs into accurate orthophotographs. Together with my co-authors, I used this opportunity to go into some details on both the imaging process as well as the Structure from Motion and Multi-View Stereo that follow.

In essence, we tried to tackle everything from data acquisition to final orthophoto product. This way, we elaborate on the “obliques versus verticals” debate in archaeology and how this relates to interpretation and mapping accuracy. Afterwards, it is explained which main factors result in geometrical image deformations (lens distortions, tilt and relief displacements) and how camera calibration tries to model the internal geometry of the complete imaging system (all terminology related to this field is explained as well). Afterwards the Structure from Motion and Multi-View Stereo steps are detailed and exemplified using PhotoScan. The idea was to not overload the text with technical details, but just mention enough jargon to make most ideas and concepts of this approach clear.

Despite many conversations, Springer still managed to introduce errors in some figures (lost capitalization on places where it matters, Greek symbols that became Latin symbols, displacement of some text), but nothing is so severe that it should hamper your understanding of the matter.

For those interested, the book chapter can be found here:
https://www.academia.edu/5901490/Undistorting_the_past_New_techniques_for_orthorectification_of_archaeological_aerial_frame_imagery
or here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259934911_Undistorting_the_past_New_techniques_for_orthorectification_of_archaeological_aerial_frame_imagery

The full reference of this book chapter is: Verhoeven, G., Sevara, C., Karel, W., Ressl, C., Doneus, M., Briese, C., 2013. Undistorting the past – New techniques for orthorectification of archaeological aerial frame imagery, in: Corsi, C., Slap?ak, B., Vermeulen, F. (Eds.), Good practice in archaeological diagnostics. Non-invasive survey of complex archaeological sites. Natural Science in Archaeology. Springer International Publishing, Cham, pp. 31–67. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-01784-6_3.

Best regards,

Geert
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:19:11 AM by gEEvEE »

Wishgranter

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1202
    • View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: New book chapter on orthophoto production with PhotoScan Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »
a B I G thanx for this GeeVee :-D  8)
----------------
www.mhb.sk

andyroo

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 439
    • View Profile
Re: New book chapter on orthophoto production with PhotoScan Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
Thanks from me too!

Kinga

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: New book chapter on orthophoto production with PhotoScan Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 03:58:41 AM »
Thank you very much! We just ordered the book. I've already read your chapter and I'm eager to read the other parts too. :)

Matt

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
    • View Profile
Re: New book chapter on orthophoto production with PhotoScan Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:35:58 AM »
Great summary geert. I think there's a error in diagram 3.10 the helikite and operator are in the wrong order. 

gEEvEE

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Re: New book chapter on orthophoto production with PhotoScan Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »
Hi Matt, thanks. Yes, I know about the error. There are more of them, as Springer really managed to mess up despite several emails to rectify this. >:(