Forum

Author Topic: Extended RAM  (Read 6142 times)

librexpo

• View Profile
Extended RAM
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:09:54 PM »
Hi,  :D

i've an Intel Core i7 860 process and 4Go of ddr3 ram. For some operations like building geometry or texture, it's not enough. My main task is to align 20-30 pictures from a basic camera (12M pix) and try to make an export for a 3d impression.

I'd just wanted to know how much of ram should be enough for i'd like to do above...
Thanks to your reply  :D

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Extended RAM
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:58:19 PM »
buy 16 or 32 GB RAM, the 4-8 GB sticks are cheap......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

librexpo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 08:30:34 PM »
thanks !

d.portillo@habitatea.es

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »
I build more big projects with i7 and 8Gb RAM. Now I'm running 90 photos (20Mpx) with middle quality deep maps without problems.

chadfx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:14:11 PM »
As Wishgranter says, it's one of the least expensive upgrades (up to 32Gb), it's almost a no-brainer to max out as much as you can up to that point. If you also upgrade to an SSD (prices are half of last year's) for your system, apps and current working data, overall your computer will feel much faster in general. (although PS will only benefit a little bit from the SSD, I believe)

James

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »
As was pointed out here last month you need to check your operating system will support more RAM

see here the list for windows versions

seems like windows 7/vista varieties are the main culprits, whereas windows 8 will always support at least 128GB so long as you are using 64 bit OS.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:33:19 PM by James »

librexpo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »
so i've buy and installed 16Go ram but i've still problem with memories.
Would it be my graphic card ? > 1024 MoATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (ATI)

d.portillo@habitatea.es

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
Are you working with a "Generic" reconstruction? How many faces? on my laptop with Radeon HD6770 2Gb  I can manipulate 4.000.000 faces with out problems.

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 11:46:15 PM »
Welcome to the world of Photoscan, where you never have enough RAM  :)

At which stage do you have problems?

The "Build Mesh" stage takes the most amount of memory. The problem is that it will always build the mesh using all points in the Dense Cloud, and only when it is done it will decimate the mesh to your target polycount. So if you have a Dense Cloud with 100 million points, you can set a target of 1000 polygons, but you will still run out of memory (because it'll build a 200 million polygon model, and only when it is done it will lower to 1000 polygons).

David Cockey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 04:43:28 AM »
so i've buy and installed 16Go ram but i've still problem with memories.
Would it be my graphic card ? > 1024 MoATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (ATI)
Graphics card memory shouldn't be causing problems. A slow graphics card means longer processing times but otherwise doesn't cause problems.

What operating system are you using. I assume since you have an I7 processer you also a 64 bit OS but if you have a 32 bit it will only use 3GB of memory regardless of how much is installed.

What are the symptoms of your problems? At which step do they occur? What settings (Medium, High, Ultra High) are you using?

How much memory is available before you start PhotoScan? Assuming you are running Windows you can use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to watch memory use.