Forum

Author Topic: Studio Flash suggestions...  (Read 8182 times)

Lambo

• View Profile
Studio Flash suggestions...
« on: February 24, 2014, 05:24:15 AM »
Hello all again. As many others around here, I am in the process of building a photogrammetry rig to scan people and I really appreciate all the help we get from others with more experience and from the guys behind Photoscan that is an amazing software.
So my question now is about studio flashes. I have searched countless threads but could not find much details other than the fact that the flash systems are better for this and that most people are using at least 4 250W flashes for a complete 360 degree scan.
On my side I am looking at getting 4 400W flashes and have researched about brands and qualities within my reach.
For what I have found, the best possible brands are: Elinchrom, Interfit, Bowens Gemini and Lastolite.
Elinchrom are a little too expensive for me, the other ones are in the price range while being good quality ones.
Now, I am also considering the possibility of doing some scans outside of the studio in places where there might not be any power sources so a portable flash that can run on batteries would be really useful and the only one I could find from those brands was the Interfit EXD400.
I know there are special batteries and converters to use with conventional flashes where there is no power but normally those are very expensive.
Let me know what are your thoughts about it? Are there any other brands to consider in that price range? ($200 to $500 per light)
Is there another one that can use batteries like the Interfit?
Is there another consideration or ideas that I am missing?
Thanks a lot in advance for any insights on this topic...
Leo

admir

• View Profile
Re: Studio Flash suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:32:43 AM »
Are you using multiple cameras or turntable ? In any case, from my experience 2 factors are important in studio setup: recycle time and synchronization delay with shooter. if using turntable or want 4d scans long recycle time can give you a lot problems. Sync with shooter is important as you want to sync camera(s) with flashes otherwise you will get dark blurry photos.

I am using cheap 4 Quantum SQ flashlights btw and i am very happy with 2 things mentioned above. Also color temperature they are giving is better suited for our needs.

Hope it helps narrowing your search,

Admir

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:58:41 PM »
Quantuum is a Polish brand, are they even distributed at all outside of Poland?

One brand that should definitely be on your shortlist is Paul C. Buff with their excellent Einstein line or the more affordable Alien Bees. They also produce dedicated portable power source bricks.

Cheers,
Andrew

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »
Thanks for your input guys! :)   I forgot to mention, I am using multiple cameras and not a turntable.
I will check out the Paul C. Buff for sure.
Now, I know that it depends a lot on your setup, location, etc. but have you found any settings on the position, orientation of the lights or the use of umbrellas VS Softbox  that work better for this?
Thanks again...
Leo

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:18:22 PM »
Quantuum is a Polish brand, are they even distributed at all outside of Poland?

One brand that should definitely be on your shortlist is Paul C. Buff with their excellent Einstein line or the more affordable Alien Bees. They also produce dedicated portable power source bricks.

Cheers,
Andrew

Yup, got them pretty cheap here in Croatia for ~350 eur each with stand, umbrella, extra soft panel, nice bag :) Technical spec papers are baaad tho and incorect.

Admir

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:33:46 AM »
If you can bounce your light off walls, floor and ceiling, that's definitely ideal and most cost-effective :) If not (might be especially tricky outdoors  ;)), I personally get decent enough results with regular cheap diffusor umbrellas.

Andrew