Forum

Author Topic: Mesh to solid  (Read 8096 times)

gheflorian

• View Profile
Mesh to solid
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:08:30 AM »
Hello everyone,

I managed to do some very nice meshes with Photoscan but now I need the models to be able to make them solids or somehow be able to import them in AutoCAD.
The only solution I have until now is to import the model into Rhinoceros, transform mesh to NURBS. Export the NURB in IGES and then import it into AutoCAD. Or I could just export from Photoscan to FBX. The problem is that I cannot import the model with to many faces.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:22:55 AM by gheflorian »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Mesh to solid
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 10:52:22 AM »
What type of model it is ? because converting to Solid can be time consuming and problematic for "organic"or complicated shape....

PM me for details.....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

gheflorian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:05:40 AM »
Never mind. I managed to do it :) Thank you for the fast reply!

erik leeman

• View Profile
    • Erik Leeman Surround Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
The problem with organic geometry conversions always is the huge number of resulting faces that 3D CAD software really can't handle. But there is a (largely unknown) solution for that: T-Splines.

Using the tools and method I described here:
https://grabcad.com/library/robot-mesh-to-solid
and here:
https://grabcad.com/library/aprilia-rs250-frame-3d-scan-by-tonis-vanaselja-part-two
you can do things like this:
https://grabcad.com/library/sparco-helmet-nurbs-conversion-of-tonis-vanaselja-s-3d-scan

With complex shapes it can be quite a bit of work, but the results are worth the effort!

Cheers!

Erik

someDude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
Never mind. I managed to do it :) Thank you for the fast reply!

could you share how you did it?
thnx

gheflorian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »
Sorry for the late answer I just exported the FBX and use it. I still don't know what can I use in AutoCAD to also have texture. Or I guess is not possible?

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 09:16:07 PM »
The problem with organic geometry conversions always is the huge number of resulting faces that 3D CAD software really can't handle. But there is a (largely unknown) solution for that: T-Splines.

As I understand it, T-Splines is not intended for poly to nurbs conversion. The poly model is used as a control "cage" to modify or deform the nurbs model in ways you can't do with nurbs tools.

While T-Splines does produce a nurbs model from polys, it can only do so with a very low res, or decimated version. I believe 500,000 polys is the max it can handle.

If you need to convert millions of polys to nurbs, you will need something like Geomagic.

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
If you export as wrl, you can get it with textures. Obj can retain the texture coordinates also but then you have to re-apply the textures inside the software you are working on.
Ply also should go out with textures.
Strange thing is that I can move objects with color and textures in FBX format between software packages too??
Leo