Forum

Author Topic: Artifacts/sparklies in mesh (3dmax)  (Read 6806 times)

gamegoof

• View Profile
Artifacts/sparklies in mesh (3dmax)
« on: March 07, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »
Im currently trying to scan some jackets and I cant seem to get away from these bright grey/white pixels in the model when i render in 3dmax, I assume they are located along UV seams? Any idea what they are and how to get rid of them, I'm exporting to a 16000 pixel jpeg for the texture and using spec map

http://imgur.com/zunIco8

Any other help on how to lay out better UVs out of photoscan or general texturing advice would be appreciated! Thank you :)

admir

• View Profile
Re: Artifacts/sparklies in mesh (3dmax)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:47:39 PM »
Im currently trying to scan some jackets and I cant seem to get away from these bright grey/white pixels in the model when i render in 3dmax, I assume they are located along UV seams? Any idea what they are and how to get rid of them, I'm exporting to a 16000 pixel jpeg for the texture and using spec map

Any other help on how to lay out better UVs out of photoscan or general texturing advice would be appreciated! Thank you :)
Is UV map default from Photoscan ? How did you created spec map, by hand in Photoshop from color map ? Tried rendering without spec map to see if errors are in color.

Best practice is to export mesh from Photoscan, UV map in Max or similar and reimport uv mapped mesh in Photoscan for texture projection.

Admir

gamegoof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »
Yeah.. I was never well versed in UV mapping, especially on a complex object, Ill have to figure it out!
So no matter what cameras you choose to use to generate texture, itll follow the UV layout specific in the re-imported mesh?

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
Yeah.. I was never well versed in UV mapping, especially on a complex object, Ill have to figure it out!
So no matter what cameras you choose to use to generate texture, itll follow the UV layout specific in the re-imported mesh?

You can use all cameras, just when building texture, in Mapping mode select Keep UV.

Admir

gamegoof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »
When i generate texture, i tend to use certain angles to minimize depth of field blur, I wish there was more finer control like generate what you can with 3-4 cameras that cover 80% of the object properly, then lock those in and use additional cameras to fill in the black holes left over. I realize people can do this in mudbox but from my experience, the UV stuff and the lack of proper topology coming out of PS was a major hurdle in trying to get this more accepted in my field (game production). The pipeline scared people off :(

Now im laid off and going on my own..

jeffreyianwilson

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »

Buy a circular polarizer filter for your lens.  It gets rid of specular reflections.  Also shoot RAW and reduce highlights in Lightroom before processing in Photoscan.

Jeff

FLuca

• View Profile
    • Another-me
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »
Buy a circular polarizer filter for your lens.  It gets rid of specular reflections.  Also shoot RAW and reduce highlights in Lightroom before processing in Photoscan.

Jeff, I understand you are using polarizer filters. I think about buying such filters, but it is quite a big budget with multiple cameras.
Could you please give us some feedback with these filters:
does it change radically the reconscructed model ?
do have noticeable improvements in hairy areas ?
do you have 1 filters on the flash units and 1 on the cams ?

thanks
Fred Lucazeau - Body Scan - www.another-me.fr
Sketchfab gallery: https://sketchfab.com/fredlucazeau

gamegoof

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:40:08 AM »
I have used a polarized workflow in a related field and you need polarized light ONLY and a filter on the camera, and everything setup properly for it to work. The filter on the camera takes out some reflections and spec but the only way to get NO SPEC is to to put polarizing gel over the flash units and not have any other light present. I have no tried this for 3d scanning yet but will next week, I anticipate other problems popping up (As in high spec objects will be almost jet black, like when I used this workflow on handguns, the metal was almost jetblack, as the majority of the objects diffuse is spec-based...)