Forum

Author Topic: Forest DSM  (Read 3007 times)

lefsky

Forest DSM
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:19:16 PM »
There are many posts on the best parameters to get a DTM in heavily forested areas. In contrast, I am interested in getting the best possible DSM in these areas. There are papers on this topic that indicate it is possible but currently I am having poor results with multiple packages (including Socet Set, although we have just started using it).

Can anyone recommend a set of processing options that have worked for extraction of DSMs over forested areas? Regrettably we face the additional problem that these are conifer forests of varying stem density, which means we have some areas that have full coverage (which generally leads to more similar patterns from multiple azimuths) and also some small clumps of trees (which, due to displacement and local conditions, look very different from different angles)

M

stpu

• View Profile
Re: Forest DSM
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
Hi,

I have been trying several settings to extract 3D point clouds in forested areas (mainly conifers) and it seems that I am achieving the best results with high mild settings when generating the dense point cloud. I have also been trying to use ultrahigh setting but I then start to have some RAM issue.

Any comment on your experience with this regard would be great.

Thanks,

Stefano