Forum

Author Topic: Generating specular maps  (Read 10201 times)

igor73

• View Profile
Generating specular maps
« on: March 12, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »
Anyone have a good method for creating specular maps from the texture generated by photo scan?  I usually use crazy bump but does not work very well on the photo scan generated texture due to how the UV map looks like. The images is broken up in many sections and crazy bump don?t know what to make of it. 

Normal map and displacement map is not needed i think but a specular map would be useful to get a more realistic render. 

admir

• View Profile
Re: Generating specular maps
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »
I think you can't skip generating proper UV map step. When you create proper UV map (in 3d app like Blender, Max, Zbrush, 3D Coat...), you can project texture in Photoscan on that UV map and get usable and editable diffuse. From there you can extract micro bumps and generate spec/gloss maps.

Admir

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »
So basically  i just export a model from PS without texture and UV unwrap it in Blender suing smart UV unwrap or other tool and then export to obj with UV and  re import to PS and PS will detect the UV map and project a texture using that map? 

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
Yes, in Build texture you need to select Keep UV option to use imported UV map. Be carefull not to move/rotate/scale mesh in Blender otherwise it wont import in same location in space in PS.

Admir

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »
when you will texture it, there is a small pop-up menu... just select keep UV, and Pscan will use the UV's you made in Blender...  :)

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the tips.

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 02:55:53 PM »
I find this very confusing.... How on earth is crazybump producing a specular map from a single image?
Doesn't make any sense at all to me.

To produce a decent quality accurate specular map of a face for example you need minimum 2 photos of the face evenly lit.
 First picture that contains diffuse/ albedo colour and specular information, then a second picture that contains just the diffuse / albedo.
By subtracting the second picture from the first picture you get just the specular information.

The pictures are captured by using polarising filters....

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 03:31:06 PM »
Crazybump uses Normal map to generate spec map so its alot guessing in their part. However its not bad start at all, playing with params you can get various types of spec/gloss maps (i am talking from realtime graphics perspective).

Admir