Forum

Author Topic: Photoscan used for scanning environments and characters for upcoming game  (Read 21929 times)

Infinite

• View Profile
Big props for mentioning Agisoft in your blog!! Not enough companies do this.

For your face rig, if you haven't already try switching over to USB3. It's far more reliable, you can overcome distance issues associated with USB2 cables, you can send more data and hook up more cameras per PC.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:36:03 PM by Infinite »

bmc130

• View Profile
Just over the last year it feels like Agisoft is starting to become very well used almost a standard in all larger game studios, For ground cover, characters, props and so on

Andrew

• View Profile
For your face rig, if you haven't already try switching over to USB3. It's far more reliable, you can overcome distance issues associated with USB2 cables, you can send more data and hook up more cameras per PC.

Thanks for the tip, Lee! I actually do hook things up to USB3.0 on my Lenovo notebook, but since cameras themselves (600D's) are 2.0, I didn't bother to search for 3.0 cables and hubs. It didn't occur to me that it would make a difference, unless cameras were USB 3.0 as well...

-Andrew

Infinite

• View Profile

Thanks for the tip, Lee! I actually do hook things up to USB3.0 on my Lenovo notebook, but since cameras themselves (600D's) are 2.0, I didn't bother to search for 3.0 cables and hubs. It didn't occur to me that it would make a difference, unless cameras were USB 3.0 as well...

-Andrew

Try it and see, sometimes depends on the motherboard used. Desktops are far better than relying on Laptops.

Exhale

• View Profile
Hi,
I made some experiments. I used Desktop and Laptop computers. As long as your camera is USB 2.0  , it doesn't matter if you use USB 3.0
Although, I can say there is a difference with USB Hubs. I would recommend a reliable USB hub, it will do.
     Cheers

Infinite

• View Profile
Hi,
I made some experiments. I used Desktop and Laptop computers. As long as your camera is USB 2.0  , it doesn't matter if you use USB 3.0
Although, I can say there is a difference with USB Hubs. I would recommend a reliable USB hub, it will do.
     Cheers

It matters a great deal
. Mainly because you can overcome the 3m limit set to USB2. You can extend to 10m, 15m and daisy chain more.

USB3 hubs are also far more stable and reliable on a multi-camera rig, and you can achieve over 70 cameras per PC.

Andrew

• View Profile
That's very interesting indeed, Lee! None of us expected any improvement unless the source (cameras) were USB 3.0 as well.

From what I gather, you are using 3.0 hubs, 3.0 cables between hubs and PC, and obviously 3.0 in your PC. But, did you keep the 2.0 miniUSB->USB from cameras to hubs? Do these even exist in 3.0 flavor? I did a search in some local stores around here and couldn't find any.

-Andrew

Infinite

• View Profile
That's very interesting indeed, Lee! None of us expected any improvement unless the source (cameras) were USB 3.0 as well.

From what I gather, you are using 3.0 hubs, 3.0 cables between hubs and PC, and obviously 3.0 in your PC. But, did you keep the 2.0 miniUSB->USB from cameras to hubs? Do these even exist in 3.0 flavor? I did a search in some local stores around here and couldn't find any.

-Andrew

You go USB2 (no longer than 3m) to USB3 (over 15m fine) then to the PC. Experiment a little and you will see the gains. Sometimes the type of USB2 and USB3 cables play a big role in the reliability aspect, as well as the type of USB hubs you get (I recommend 7 port Anker) Some USB2 cables wont work at all, while others will work perfectly.

Exhale

• View Profile
Lee, I am not playing the devil's advocate , but sorry I am currently using each 3 meters + 5 meters cable distance with USB 2.0 Hubs for 60+ Cameras.  Although, in your point of view, I will give go for some USB 3.0 Hubs and see the result. 

Cheers

Infinite

• View Profile
Lee, I am not playing the devil's advocate , but sorry I am currently using each 3 meters + 5 meters cable distance with USB 2.0 Hubs for 60+ Cameras.  Although, in your point of view, I will give go for some USB 3.0 Hubs and see the result. 

Cheers

I would start my reply with your name, but it's not listed.

but sorry I am currently using each 3 meters + 5 meters
Cheers

No need to apologize.

Exhale, I wouldn't be surprised at 5m. After USB2, the extra power should boost the signal. The point is the set 3m distance from camera to what ever source it's plugged into, Hub or PC. That's the limit with USB2.

From my 5 years worth of experience in this field, USB2 is a nightmare and terribly unreliable. So yes, I would recommend USB3 for many reasons. If you want to cover larger distances and require 99.99% reliability, USB3. Try it.

Plus the Anker USB3 hubs have nice little blue lights on them that only light up when a camera is working. Very handy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:16:39 PM by Infinite »

igor73

• View Profile
Andrew,  great work!  What viewer  are you using to display the models on your website? 

Andrew

• View Profile
The one we used is http://p3d.in/ but there are other similar services, https://sketchfab.com/ and http://verold.com/ to name a few.

-Andrew

thesystemera

• View Profile
    • realityvirtual
Just wanted to say these Agisoft forums are a goldmine in regards to learning the ropes, it is really exciting to see such candid discussion among developers. It's refreshing. So is photogrammetry widely used in the gaming community, because from my opinion, if so, it's a really well kept secret. 

BTW having a blast with UE4, I think the indie game scene is going to explode now with these new licencing models. Mix that with photogrammetry and you are going to see more and more titles appear with qualities only once obtainable from AAA developers. Exciting times indeed.  ;D
Simon Che de Boer @ http://www.realityvirtual.co/