Forum

Author Topic: Presenting hundereds of models  (Read 4591 times)

mwillis

• View Profile
Presenting hundereds of models
« on: March 26, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »
Hi Everyone, I have several hundred high resolution 3D models.  I am trying to figure out a way to automatically export images of each model.  All the models are georeferenced in a local grid system
Here is what I would like to do:

* Export a PNG of the model without a texture looking straight down on it with metric scale in view
* Export another image with a profile view of the same model.
* Ideally the exported graphics would have the same name as the 3d model.[

I have a way to export the data as a DEM into ArcGIS and from there make graphics via Python.  The problem is that DEMs just do not show the same level detail you see in the 3D model.   I suspect this will need to be done in a third party software.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mark

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Presenting hundereds of models
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:35:51 PM »
Hello Mark,

Can you please provide the DEM export results for any of the examples (performed through GUI export DEM dialog) so that we could see why this way is not acceptable?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

mwillis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 04:42:19 PM »
Hi Alexey, the attached DEM is for the second graphic.  The color scale can be tweaked but it never looks as interesting at the view you get in Photoscan.

Thanks!

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the screenshot. Maybe you can improve the export resolution to get more detailed output?

As some sort of work around you can use screenshot save using Python script:
Code: [Select]
from PyQt4.QtGui import QPixmap, QApplication
QPixmap.grabWindow(QApplication.desktop().winId(), x1, y1, x2, y2).save('d:/test.png', 'png')
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

mwillis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 05:01:45 PM »
Unfortunately, adjusting the resolution of the DEM has very little impact on the results.  The data is fundamentally different.  DEMs are typically only ramped with 256 colors, don't have normals, etc.  Great if you want to make a contour map but no so good at showing the fine details in a model to the average person.

Thanks for the code.  I'll play around with that in the meantime.

JMR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
I think you are just talking about batch obtaining ortho views of your models rendered in monocrhome shaded mode at a known scale... am I right? this can be very easily done outside PhotoScan. Please, PM if you need support for that task
Regards