Forum

Author Topic: Floor for body scanning area...  (Read 6983 times)

Lambo

• View Profile
Floor for body scanning area...
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:29:27 PM »
Hi all, here is a question that I could not find any info on around the forum.
I am setting up a small full body scanning area and besides the walls that I already painted white, all I have left is the floor.
I of course want to do it white but since I don't have too much money, I can not buy the more expensive industrial versions of the vinyl tile and on the cheaper side for white floor tile, all I can find is one that is super glossy.
At the same time that the glossiness helps reflect the light better, it also creates all kinds of reflections (kinda like a mirror) that as far as I know are not good for the scanning solution.
So do you guys think it would be detrimental for the scanning to use a high gloss floor?
I have seen that in many places like in Lee's Infinite Realities setup, the floor is matte or satin at the most.
Thanks a lot in advance for your input.
Leo

admir

• View Profile
Re: Floor for body scanning area...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »
We are using white sheet (curtains like). It can be washed, easily folded, works well.

Admir

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 12:09:03 AM »
Thanks Admir. So then it is not reflective pretty much. Being white it still bounces some light I guess. Interesting approach, I didnt think of that.
Leo

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:03:08 AM »
Its not reflective at all. When scanning head we cover chair with white sheet as well for easier masking out.
For the floor sheet, if you dont pin it, you need to straighten it before scanning or it will get small folds which can create some problems when masking out. Other than that it works well and its cheap.

Admir

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 03:44:29 AM »
Cool Admir, thanks for the idea, I will take it in consideration and possibly use it here.
But as a curiosity, does anyone actually know if using a glossy floor would be detrimental for the scanning solution?
Has anyone ever used some floor like that?
Thanks...
Leo

tommyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 02:30:55 AM »
Not sure where you are geographically, but if you are near a Home Depot then rejoice. We have jiggered up many solutions from there, in the case of flooring we got something called Boise Cascade Standard Carb P2.  It is a thin yet rigid particle board, in sheets of about 3ft x 6ft.  It is coated on one side with a relatively tough white finish, slightly glossy, which is good for bouncing light, as well as being easy to clean, hard to get dirty.  It has worked out great, we got a half dozen sheets and tape them with white tape at the seams.

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 08:00:32 AM »
Oh! thanks Tommyboy! That sounds cool, I will check it out since I have a Home Depot decently close.
I might end up doing a combination of this and what Admir suggested.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Leo