Forum

Author Topic: calculating area of a plant  (Read 3569 times)

Bruno Andrieu

• View Profile
calculating area of a plant
« on: April 06, 2014, 12:17:50 AM »
I build 3d models of plants, from which I would like to calculate, for instance, the cumulated area of leaves.

Is leaf area  precisely given by the cumulated area of the triangles that represent a leaf ?
For instance, a leaf is very thin, but I am not sure wether both sides of a leaf are represented by a same triangle or could it be that they are sometime different triangles for each side of a leaf ?

thanks ....

FoodMan

• View Profile
Re: calculating area of a plant
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:54:11 AM »
if you want to have a full leaf geometry, then real thickness of a leaf is the only way, as far as I know PScan only works with single sided polygons.

f/

Bruno Andrieu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »
Thanks Foodman

I am ok with one side if this is always the case.  I would like to be sure of what is done, so that my calculations are right.

For instance the two sides of a leaf may differ more or less in texture or colour. And generally they are illuminated differentely. I would like to be sure that this cannot result in representing the two sides by different polygons.

Bruno

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:51:56 PM »
well that the whole point... Pscan can't texture both sides with a one side polygons.. it needs the real thing.. that means real thickness of leaves to be able to texture both sides..

f/