Forum

Author Topic: Tilt-shift lens  (Read 3800 times)

James

• View Profile
Tilt-shift lens
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:20:59 PM »
Hi there,

Does anyone have an idea about whether a tilt shift lens would work with photoscan?

I was just thinking it would be preferable to use one when scanning tall buildings from ground level, to maintain resolution at the higher levels, but never actually used, touched or seen one, so could be completely misguided!

Thanks!

James

David Cockey

• View Profile
Re: Tilt-shift lens
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »
I would not use a tilt-shift lens with PhotoScan. Two of the important lens properties is that the optical axis of the lens be close to the center of the sensor and normal (perpendicular) to the sensor. PhotoScan can compensate if there is a small amount of deviation but my guess is a large amount of deviation, such as is possible with a tilt-shift, may cause PhotoScan to have problems in orienting photos.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »
Thanks, that was my guess, but photoscan often surprises me and works when i least expect it! :)

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »
Another thing is that tilt-shift lenses are a real pain to use. Getting perfect focus with a tilt-shift lens is very hard. Doing that for 50+ shots needed for a scan is simply impractical.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. I hope I'll get a chance to play with one someday anyway.

jenkinsm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 12:59:25 PM »
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. I hope I'll get a chance to play with one someday anyway.

Did you ever get one to try out? I am scanning roads and I think a tilt-shift lens would work perfectly. I came across this today and I think I will get one and try it out.