Forum

Author Topic: Optimizing Cameraalignment for better Results  (Read 3252 times)

holgar

• View Profile
Optimizing Cameraalignment for better Results
« on: April 11, 2014, 10:19:14 AM »
Hello,
I am using the Standardversion of PS to make scans of small objects. I want to get as much detail as possible. But using UltraHigh setting produces much noise. I take my Photos in a Studio with a lot of Light. I make 18 Megapixel Photos with a very good lens. So the Image quality I can not improve.
I have read that in the Pro  Version of PhotoScan there is a Option for Alignmentoptimization. Would that help me to get rid of the noisy surfaces. Or are there other Ways of optimizing in the Standard Version?

I usually get reproduction Error of 0.2-0.3
Effective Overlap is 2.68.
After analyzing the Imagequality I get Results ranging from 0.7-0.9
are that good Vallues?  should I take more Images?

Thank you for any Help. PS is such a great software and I am happy I found it.
Greetings, Holger
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:26:10 AM by holgar »

Marcel

• View Profile
Re: Optimizing Cameraalignment for better Results
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »
Your reprojection error is already very low, so that would mean your alignment should be good.

Optimize Alignment can help with getting rid of some noise in some cases, but it is no miracle cure. Your remaining noise is probably because of some micro blur or depth of field in your photos.

Can you show an example of your photos at full resolution?
See the resulting scan would also be very helpful.

holgar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »
I would like to show you an example...But I just trow away my testing-Files. For Testing I took an Apple. Maybe it was also to reflective. I am not sure. But the result was not satisfying. Rigth now I am testing with more uneven Objects...so there it is hard to judge the Noise as the Surface is not smooth.

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »
If you mesh the result the noise will be very easy to see.

In our experience, noise is almost always an issue with photo quality. Even a 1px blur can cause misalignments and noise. So check your photos at 200% to see if they are absolutely sharp.