Forum

Author Topic: Single camera scanning thread?  (Read 49518 times)

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Single camera scanning thread?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »
Hi Jeff

Thanx for  explanation, was not the one who emailed :-D - keep it secret ( mean the emails ) - its the better way as you see..... 

Hmmmmm, have some idea in my head, will discuss it with others, probably have a solution to this sort of "problems" 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:21:18 PM by Wishgranter »
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Mfranquelo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 05:07:50 PM »
Hello Jeff,

Its very sad to hear that,
I appreciate enormously your will to help teaching for free what you know, even if its more or less correct, that doesnt matter.

I understand as well your decision, but as mr_curious said, i dont think (and hope) that most of us have this kind of behaviour.

Cheers,
Manuel.

gatsri

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
For me, it's one (of lot's) reason, what Agisoft makes the different from other softwares... an open discussion, see what other user do and become / give help on every daytime...!

For me it's the perfect way to solve problems, interessting to help others and share the experience.

I can undersand, that some people don't like this, becose of "the seacret of the perfect workflow". but as others say already, many heads ar better than jus one!

for me, it's just the beginning from digital photogrammetry! i think togeter, we can go much further than we are...!

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »
I killed the thread because I was getting hate mail.  The seminar was for free yet certain members here acted like they paid for it.  I was torn to pieces in private emails which I care not to re-publish.
[..]
Jeff

Wow. That is very sad to hear indeed.  >:(

If it is any help: you sparked some really nice discussion on these boards.

I hope you have a lot of success with the workshops. Please do post a small message when they go online?

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »
I'm not sure if your rant was aimed at me or others, but I would just like to point out that I've been using Photoscan for years for face scanning, it was me that suggested to Lee (Infinite) that he should try the software, the rest is history... the whole reason all these "mini-me" 3D printing companies sprang up in the last few years is due to Lee openly talking about his Photoscan process.
Just to put that in context I have never made a single penny from using Photoscan, i don't offer a scanning service, I design and build hardware.

Whilst this is partially true Merry, the industry was generally heading in this direction, Photoscan. It's just no one had ever tested with a multi camera system. Luckily IR was the first to do that properly. I was aware of Agisoft before you mentioned it to me. I actually saw the work Samuel Poirier was doing before that which tempted me but I was already knee deep with Dimensional Imaging and had an expensive Scanner Killer license, my journey started back in 2008 thanks primarily to DI and XYZ-RGB, who were the true pioneers.

My research how ever would have not been possible without Merry's hardware designs for trigger and power.

I'm sorry to hear Jeffrey got a bunch of hate mail, there was no need for that (whoever did it should apologize) There is nothing wrong with sharing.

It is a shame some companies use Agisoft as their main business and don't participate here and help others but no one is forcing anyone to share or not to share. We can do as we please.

It's now a very competitive industry thanks to the monetary system we live in.

What annoys me most is when people don't talk openly about Agisoft Photoscan, or get it linked in press releases. The more exposure the better.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:00:30 PM by Infinite »

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »
A sticky FAQ is certainly a very good idea!  :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:21:53 PM by Infinite »

jeffreyianwilson

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 06:26:29 PM »
Hello Jeff,

I appreciate enormously your will to help teaching for free what you know, even if its more or less correct, that doesnt matter.

I understand as well your decision, but as mr_curious said, i dont think (and hope) that most of us have this kind of behaviour.

Cheers,
Manuel.

Thank You for your kind words...  The internet is what it is I guess.  I have half a mind to release another free video just for spite... :)

Jeff

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 06:29:36 PM »
Hi Lee,

Was a bit coffee'ed up :o when I posted that, should perhaps read .. I suggested you really should give Photoscan a go, over the outrageously expensive and tedious DI and Scanner Killer systems of the time.

...and when you did and openly talked about the process, many other people learnt and profited from your sharing.

That sharing combined with IMHO a very fairly priced Photoscan has changed many things in many industries and made things possible that before would only have been the preserve of very large budget films/VFX.

Cheers,
Mala

jedfrechette

• Lidar Guys
    • View Profile
    • www.lidarguys.com
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »
I killed the thread because I was getting hate mail.  The seminar was for free yet certain members here acted like they paid for it.  I was torn to pieces in private emails which I care not to re-publish.

I was criticized for giving information away for free, what I said was wrong, my cameras sucked or I didn't know what I was doing.

I'm really sad to hear that. I thought your webinar was a good introduction to the topic. I don't know why people would criticize you for giving away 'secrets'. I don't think anything you were showing would be a revelation to someone having a basic familiarity with photogrammetry or sculpting apps. There is also a clear need for this type of training material so people can get past the basics and move on to more interesting problems.

I might quibble with a few of the technical details you presented. I'm a scene-linear kind of guy so I always cringe when somebody opens up a RAW file in Lightroom and starts tweaking sliders. Nonetheless, your results are very credible and I think they speak for themselves.

Good luck in your endeavors, and I'm sorry that a few members of this forum have managed to drive you away.
Jed

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »

Thank You for your kind words...  The internet is what it is I guess.  I have half a mind to release another free video just for spite... :)

Jeff

Do it, but only through openness and wanting to. Don't feed any trolls through spite.

I'm thinking of doing something similar soon, more on a hardware side. I didn't see your video but I'm sure it's filled with interesting info. Don't let any negative comments get you down.

Exhale

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »
Hate e-mails....?     .... in hell !  >:(   How dare ! 
This is totally selfish and egoist behave..  >:(
They probably think they didn't learn anything from the forums.??  ???
Don't forget where you start from..

Thanks to the community... Love you all....
Regards,

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:46 PM »
Well. I thought the seminar was very helpful and I am glad I watched and really thankful that Jeffrey decided to make it.
I simply can not understand why would you receive any hate mail for that and to be honest, I think that information should be shared with the Moderators so that they can be informed of the people that are acting in an unprofessional manner here.
And WHAT if some of the information was not perfect or against some others believes or experience?? That is what the threads are for, to share knowledge and to find solutions, no one is perfect and I much more prefer to talk to someone that is eager to share information even if it is not perfect that someone that knows all the perfect answers and doesn't want to share them.
Thanks again for the seminar!
Leo

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
Hi Jeff, webinar was very good and informative, can't imagine why would anyone had negative comments towards FREE knowledge....
Take care and hope to see you spreading more scan knowledge soon!
Admir
Hello Jeff,

Cheers,
Manuel.

Jeff

jeffreyianwilson

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 05:59:19 AM »
No worries.  James of Ten24 had a talk with me.  Told me it was BS for me not to keep participating on the site.  I have been following Lee and James quite a while now.  James and I communicate on a regular basis about cameras and results.  If anything I owe the two of them quite a bit.  They have both been very generous with their research in their blogs over the years.

As for as being technically off, I work in entertainment (games and film) and have worked with scan data for almost 15 years.  As an artist I'm scanning for what is the fastest and can get me from A to C while skipping B.  We're under constant fire to get things done quickly, even if it's not as accurate as we'd like it to be.

My seminar is not intended for Photoscan experts nor is it intended for professional photographers.  My target audience are people completely new to the concept of 3d scanning.  I edit in Lightroom for purposes of an even texture map given horrible lighting conditions.  Ultimately I want to prove and demonstrate that the technology is not limited to experts and someone with a sub $1000 camera can get amazing results.  What I hope to show is more how you can use 3d scanning in production workflows like PF Track, NukeX and Maya.  3D scans are pretty useless without some follow up.

Unfortunately Zbrushworkshops has bent the course to only photogrammetry but I will be covering scanning with the Kinect, Artec and super expensive $250K LIDAR scanners.  It's a comprehensive crash course in the technology and how it can be applied.  Geomagic figures pretty heavy into the equation as well.

I in fact can't stand Photoscan body scans, they pale in comparison to detailed work I'm getting from a combination of Artec Eva and the Artec Spider.

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:02:20 AM by jeffreyianwilson »

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »
sure due to the way Psacn works, many things can't be scan... but I find Pscan does the job pretty well when the photos are good and the object has enough texture info..  for very little $.... I mean the artec spider cost an eye... eheh :) 8), so it better be good..

one thing... the artec spider texture ..... I don't like it... at all..  :-\

f/