Forum

Author Topic: Scanning building interiors  (Read 5071 times)

gamegoof

• View Profile
Scanning building interiors
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:17:41 PM »
I have done some limited testing with this but wanted to see how people's experiences have been this this? Post-process or HDR? Piece by piece or one giant scan? Artificial lights? Types of passes through the room vs winder-angle lens vs sharpness?

Thanks!

Marcel

• View Profile
Re: Scanning building interiors
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:13:50 AM »
I tried HDR shots for scanning, but it wasn't a big success:

- if one out of 3 shots is moved, your camera position is useless (so you have 3 times the chance of moved photos, if it is a little bit windy this can be a problem).
- ideally you need more than 3 exposures at small increments. If the exposures are too far apart (more than 2 EVs)  or severely overexposed/underexposed you get banding artifacts in your HDR
- merging 200+ files to HDR is a long process, takes more diskspace, etc.
- overall the HDR shots were not as sharp as single shots

Photoscan worked fine with the HDR files however (apart from a much higher memory use), and I can imagine that it could be useful in some situations. But I prefer to use a properly exposed non-HDR photo, it's so much easier.

There was the factory interior showcased a while back. I'm curious how many shots they took for that environment.

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:29:41 AM »
on a side note,, I wonder if someone has tried a classic interior (with furniture etc...) all the interiors I have seen are abandoned buildings...

I did tried a long time ago, but there was soo many artifacts (due to poor textured objects, reflections, etc..)

f/

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
We tried scannin part of our office, similar problems like yours: poor lighting, reflective materials, boring (lack of details and patterns for Photoscan) materials. We photographed each object as separate and global part of room. However, even if you get poorish solutions, proportions, positions etc.. are here to be used as reference.
on a side note,, I wonder if someone has tried a classic interior (with furniture etc...) all the interiors I have seen are abandoned buildings...

I did tried a long time ago, but there was soo many artifacts (due to poor textured objects, reflections, etc..)

f/