Forum

Author Topic: Quick newbie question  (Read 5483 times)

Brian33433

• View Profile
Quick newbie question
« on: April 27, 2014, 03:58:02 AM »
About to start delving into head scanning with Agisoft and I notice I always see people using bald caps. Is it not possible to scan head hair? I should mention I'm only using it for 3d printing and not texturing.

B.

Magnus

• View Profile
Re: Quick newbie question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 05:13:13 AM »
Hello Brian!

The caps are as far as I know used by many because the hair will be done afterwards depending on the application.

For printing it depends on what the target-resolution is.
You would need to be careful about the hairstyles, thin and stray hair for example is very tough, if not impossible.
You can get decent results but there will most likely be a lot of clean-up involved (=high cost).

Hair is in my opinion one of the trickiest things to get right and too big of a variable for me to feel comfortable about.
It was the reason we decided to hold off on 3D-printing headscans until we can find a fast, workable solution. This is ofcourse dependent on how much time you can spend per scan and qualitydemands.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the needs for coverage can increase a lot if you have to cover the full top of the head too.

Best, Magnus.

Brian33433

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 02:10:16 PM »
Thank you Magnus for your reply.

Do you or anyone else have any examples pictures or .stl/.obj of a scan with hair on there head, I can see?

B.

Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »
Hello again Brian!

I will see if I can find some good examples.
Have a look at Infinite/Lee's Triplegangers site http://www.triplegangers.com/ (some nudity). If you check the sample images on the scans (there are some raw ones too) you can maybe start to get some idea of the issues one might encounter.
What kind of print output had you planned on targeting btw?

Best, Magnus.

Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 02:08:08 AM »
Hello again!

I uploaded a raw model from some of our testing to my Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xdx4dmiwz4s7h25/xI7Cu7D2DF I had to decimate it down a bit but it might give some idea.
This was pretty zoomed out but a problem with hair is the more detail the more noise and areas that fall apart.
There was not coverage from below in front or on the back of head.
Note on the parting of the hair where it gets especially noisy and also on the front where the background shines thru the hair on some places.
In the picture you can see what happens with shorter hair, it can become quit a mess, hehe.

Best, Magnus.

Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 06:06:48 AM »
Hello yet again!

I added another image to the folder that shows one way to get a more complete result with really tough hairstyles.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/il7pod5ci24m5ft/140428_PS_Hair_02.jpg

As you might be able to tell in the image on the right the hair was roughed up a bit. On the left is a Dense Cloud at Low setting and the middle is at High.
We had some thoughts about doing different reconstructions for face (High) and hair (lower quality) and combine them but it is too much work and still problematic with some hair.

Best, Magnus.

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 11:47:17 PM »
Here are some of our examples with hair scanned. High quality with masks, raw scans from Photoscan.

Admir

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 11:48:44 PM »
Had to split to new post becouse of max attachment size :)
We are doing real time games, most of the times hair part of model is thinned down and polygons with hair are done on top.

Admir

Brian33433

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:20:52 PM »
Excellent work guys, thanks so much