Forum

Author Topic: LED arrays  (Read 30360 times)

MeHoo

• View Profile
Re: LED arrays
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 04:16:41 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321461821050?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These are fantastic, light, and use good batteries you can find for cheap on ebay.  Two color temperatures, cheap, and already pre-diffused.

I'm using them.

Pearse

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 03:47:56 PM »
Thanks MeHoo. Very interesting.
Do you use projection with it?
I have a 15 camera rig and have had problems getting ALL the cameras to fire simultaneously (almost always one or two blackouts). This might be a solution. Cool.  8)

MeHoo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 10:25:39 PM »
I am not scanning people, and I cannot disclose much information about my rig unfortunately.

I can attest that these lights will work wonderfully for illumination.  Anything more specific, and I just recommend picking one up and messing with it.  Just a note, but you will want to get batteries like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300610399231?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

as it comes with a rather bulky 6xAA battery enclosure.

And yes.. even with my typical photography rig (I'm a professional photographer as well), and the highest quality gear (my studio strobes are Elinchrom BXRI500's) I get a one in ten fail on the remote triggers.  It's just the nature of the beast with strobes which is why I highly recommend you pick up a solution like this, or go the kinoflo route.  That's what we used in the feature film biz for photographing actor's faces.

Hope it helps!

- Justin Mijal

Pearse

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 10:59:38 PM »
Thanks Justin.
Yes, this might be the ticket. I think I'll order a couple and see where that puts me.
Any guess on how many of these I'd need to illuminate a face? At this point, faces are all I'mm interested in.
Again- Thank you

Pearse

MeHoo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 05:54:20 AM »
These get pretty bright.  I lit an almost dark room with two of them from about 8' enough to scan.  I'd start with two.  That seller shipped them rather quickly as well, so if you needed more, it'd be a quick ordeal I'd think.  you aren't in the LA area are you?

Pearse

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »
No. I go back and forth from Michigan to N Carolina.
I got so excited last night I ordered two, so I'll see how they work out.
Thanks, and I'll post after I get a chance to play with them.

MeHoo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 11:19:23 PM »
Ah, I'm from michigan.  Hope they work out.  I'm pretty happy.  One thing I noticed is that the battery gage only seems to work right when the power is on but the intensity knob is all the way off.  But hey.. cheap is cheap ;)