Forum

Author Topic: Photomast?  (Read 5828 times)

bmc130

• View Profile
Photomast?
« on: April 28, 2014, 05:09:46 PM »
Have anyone here ever worked with a Photomast for taking photos?

http://www.photomast.com

FoodMan

• View Profile
Re: Photomast?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
Never heard of it, but it looks pretty interesting..

thanks for the link..

f/

James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
Not that one but have used the 60' aluminium one from http://www.telescopicmastcanada.com/

It takes 2 people to erect as it is so heavy once you get it right up there, but the results are useful. I have felt safer working in a cradle 600' in the air than at the bottom of that mast at full height, as it tends to move a lot in the slightest breeze, or feels like it anyway!

I bet the carbon fiber photomast is lovely to work with in comparison, but at a maximum of 30' it wouldn't be a great deal of help to us as we tend to work on much larger structures.

*edit - i lied, i will never ever get back in that cradle, the mast - i might consider*
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:52:46 PM by James »

gatsri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
I've Done some similar stuff, ony a smaler model... and much cheaper!

I've done some road condition mapping. after taking photos, I used PS to make a Orthophoto and DEM.
Works verry good. now we do some tests using a bike...
sure, its only for smal parts of roads, but it works... and its cheep!!

James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »
Works verry good. now we do some tests using a bike...

that's cool, i had a similar idea about mapping my local town using a pole on a bike, but i don't have a pole, or a bike, or any free time, so would love to hear how you get on instead :)

bmc130

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »
Thinking of maybe buying one for work, but not sure if it's easy to work with, but looks like some of you already have some experince and got some good results:) And together with a Camranger device I think it could be useful.
But it sure looks a little unstable to move around with quickly... but maybe not as heavy as trying to hold a tripod over my head..

Any one have any experience with Camranger device aswell or anything similar?

http://camranger.com/

Jack_in_CO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:10:47 AM »
I made my own mast using the head from a tripod mounted on an extension pole (had an older one in storage) from a treesaw. Like the linked example above controlled the camera with a CamRanger through an Ipad. Worked well and extended up to 5m above the ground. Takes two people to operate: One to operate the pole the other to trigger the camera.

I am a bit nervous with the Nikon D800 at the top; I'm sure if my jerry-rigged system failed that the warrenty on the camera is void by that level of fall/impact.

Now I'm trying to find a bracket to mount a Trimble GPS antenna above the camera.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:14:28 AM by Jack_in_CO »

RonaldWe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 03:53:52 AM »
I used selfmade poles for taking photos in archaeological contexts.

For vertical shoots I am using a telescopic window cleaning pole or a photo crane. You can read about it here: https://www.academia.edu/3589584/Structure-from-Motion_und_Pole-Aerial-Photography_fur_die_Dokumentation_archaologischer_Grabungen (in german but with pictures)

For horizontal pictures of walls and facades I am using a fishing rod that can be used up to 13 m with a point-and-shoot camera. See image attached.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:00:50 AM by RonaldWe »