Forum

Author Topic: SSD or graphic card?  (Read 4819 times)

Agora3D

• View Profile
SSD or graphic card?
« on: May 07, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
Hi,

I have a computer with an i7, 8Gb Ram and nvidia gtx 440 but when I try to run agisoft photoscan to create a model, it never work: it keep calculating for days and never finish a model that work in one  hour with my other PC with an SSD and a nvidia gtx 660.

What is creating the problem: the absence of SSD or the bad graphic card?

admir

• View Profile
Re: SSD or graphic card?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
Photoscan uses hard drive extensively when loading photos into RAM. Pending on photos amount and your experience i think RAM is culprit rather than SSD or gfx card(which is not super fast). Uping RAM to 32gb and upgrading gfx card to gtx660 would be the best solution IMHO.

Admir

Andrew

• View Profile
Re: SSD or graphic card?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »
8 gigs of ram is only okay for low-med quality reconstructions with limited amount of photos. Your GPU is fairly low end as well, but even with powerful GPU and just 8 gigs you'll still run out of memory on larger/higher quality projects and keep processing forever. When running out of memory, Windows tries to use a HDD swap file in place of memory which makes processing hundreds times slower. SSD is faster than HDD but that will only make your builds, say, 50 times slower instead of hundreds times slower, when compared to builds fit well within system memory. Definitely upgrade your RAM if you can.

There are some rough memory requirement estimates to be found on agisoft website, although I am not sure if they were updated once Photoscan switched to less memory-hungry algorithms...

-Andrew