Forum

Author Topic: Missing colors (Black/White)  (Read 5474 times)

Hector

• View Profile
Missing colors (Black/White)
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:16:42 AM »
I have been doing some tests and have come across a situation i can not correct or make adjustments for. Seems when i bring in photos to be aligned and processed the areas that are essentially black or very white are not seen by the software. This is a problem because I have a black vehicle in a current project and all I get is the wheels! Any ideas? thanks so much for the help in advance...

chadfx

• View Profile
Re: Missing colors (Black/White)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:55:54 AM »
You could try using the Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw highlight and shadow recovery tools, they sometimes can help bring details out in darker and brighter areas. If you have RAW images to start with, you will probably have better luck with that. But it still might prove very difficult to get a decent solve in Photoscan.

Good luck! -C

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:52:47 AM »
Your subject needs detail for Photoscan to recognise the shape. So it's not necessarily a problem of black/white.  If your car was a very even red color it would also fail.

One solution would be to make the car dirty (preferably a small splatter pattern),  that way there are less reflections and more fine detail for Photoscan to work with.

Hector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:04:49 PM »
Thank you so much for the quick response. I am including a couple images as examples to clarify what I am dealing with. This is a staged accident, black Nissan and gold Toyota. I shot 6 positions with a ultra high res panoramic camera (100 megapixel). Excellent results overall but I thought I could make some settings adjustments to bring out the vehicles even more. Note the yard stick in image 3. The day was cloudy so no direct sunlight what so ever, in fact I thought it would start sprinkling anytime. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:06:24 PM by Hector »

chadfx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 06:45:24 AM »
Ooof, yeah, 100 megapixels doesn't help much when they all look the same. =(

Those shiny car panels are going to be tough. You could try to accentuate any available contrast and details in those panels in the hope of bringing out more distinct features that the software can grab on to...but it's probably going to be very difficult.