Forum

Author Topic: Combining two meshes with textures  (Read 9655 times)

meshmixup

• View Profile
Combining two meshes with textures
« on: May 14, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend the tool that can easily merge two meshes (e.g. obj files with textures) and atlases textures? I can do projection on a combined mesh but some meshes are hard to project.

admir

• View Profile
Re: Combining two meshes with textures
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »
If i understood correctly, you need to combine 2 textures from 2 UVs to 1 texture and 1 UV ? You can do that in Modo/Max/Maya easily. Load 2 objects, create new UV (lets call it UV_combined), copy UVs from both meshes to that UV, pack UV (it rearanges UV so there is no overlap and keeps size of uv islands relative to mesh size). "Bake" 2 textures to new texture with UV_bake selected as target UV.

Admir

meshmixup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:25:23 AM »
Hi Admir,
yes exactly, is there any function or plugin in zb or mb that can serve the same function?  Thanks again :)

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:16:44 AM »
Not that i know in ZB or MB (motion builder i guess).
Blender can do that (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Textures/Mapping/UV/Layout_Management).
Meshlab have transfer attributes option, maybe it can be done there with layers and meshes ?
We use Modo/Max/Maya where you can do that easily with transfer maps.

Hope it helps,
Admir

meshmixup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
Hi Admir,

Thanks again. I have a scanned body but the shoe is failed. So I redo scanning on the shoe only, hopping that I can chop the failed shoe and replace by the good one. I am using mudbox at the moment therefore I hope there are some simple ways on these softwares.  :)

admir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
Ah, its easy then :) You need to correctly name your textures and UVs and arange UVs in tiles, check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-oWC_QObE its better explained.

Admir

meshmixup

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
Hi Admir,

I am trying your method but still not success. I try to start with importing two object and texture layers, but then the layers cannot point to the right objects. Would you kindly tell me the workflow? Thanks a lot :D