Forum

Author Topic: DNG format  (Read 16138 times)

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: DNG format
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »
Hello Xodroc,

Could you please send an example of such DNG file to support@agisoft.com? Also is there any reason why you are using DNG and not TIFF or EXR, as you are processing Nikon RAW data anyway?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Xodroc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 03:51:56 AM »
Hello Xodroc,

Could you please send an example of such DNG file to support@agisoft.com? Also is there any reason why you are using DNG and not TIFF or EXR, as you are processing Nikon RAW data anyway?

Good point, I was mainly trying to save a little space.

bisenberger

• View Profile
    • Digital Mapping & Graphics
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 12:10:28 AM »
hi
as mentioned in a other topic i would love to have agisoft suport the files as they are edited because this would save me lots of disk space.
right now i have to edit the dng and then export as tiff and they are HUGE even compared to the DNG about 125mb per image
i have to correct for vigneting since otherwise i have dark stripes on the model and it wouzld be great if agisoft could suport that edits in the DNG file
thanks
frank
+1  8)
Digital Mapping & Graphics LLC
https://digital-mapping.net/

swimgod

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 08:40:04 AM »
As a Nikon shooter having DNG support is ideal. My example photo is 11.5MB in NEF, 8.8MB in DNG, and 130MB in TIFF.

I use Adobe bridge to convert my .NEFs, It allows batch conversion which is perfect for DNG conversion.

Issue 1, The Black image problem:
In adobe bridge there is an option to export with "Lossy compression." this is what causes your DNGs to show up as black in PS.

Issue 2, No DNG processing works:
In adobe bridge you can export with lens correction(distortion & chromatic aberration), crop, and exposure curve. These are all super useful functions as you can batch export in bridge. cropping with lens correction is effectively masking in batch. Also PS does not correct for chromatic aberration. Unfortunately PS does not preform ANY of these effects, even crop is ignored.

I've included an example in unedited .nef, unedited no loss .dng, edited no loss .dng, and finally a unedited lossy .dng.
All at full resolution.

Agisoft PhotoScan v1.2.6 build 2834
Adobe Bridge 6.2.0.179
DNG v1.4 w/ compression.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2zkhh0mqhy282ly/AAAgkAy_U_Nbr23dIz2xUOIza?dl=0
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:01:25 AM by swimgod »

bcoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 02:45:12 AM »
I just wanted to say thanks for adding .dng as a file type to import! Insanely awesome and much easier than having to export a whole batch of images to a lower quality file type = saving me a lot of hard drive space.

Thanks again

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »
Hello swimgod,

Thanks, we have downloaded the data.

I think we'll focus on the reading the embed profile information for the images in DNG format in the next updates. Reading images compressed with "lossy compression" method is not currently supported, as it's not in our top priority list.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

frank.stremke

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »
this is good news
it would be good to keep the edit information only this makes use of dng realy practical for me since i have to do some edits before i get decent textures
frank

Nedo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »
As a new Nikon User i have a question, shooting RAW (.NEF) photos, what is the best converting right now
for Photoscan, TIF 16bit? TIF 8bit? Didnt knew about the DNG Format, will look for more info, because the
file size is really nice.

Greest, Nedo

bisenberger

• View Profile
    • Digital Mapping & Graphics
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 03:22:50 PM »
I think we'll focus on the reading the embed profile information for the images in DNG format in the next updates.

Excellent!  :D
Digital Mapping & Graphics LLC
https://digital-mapping.net/