Forum

Author Topic: Photoscan - Connecting Camera's  (Read 7125 times)

MattHD6950

• View Profile
Photoscan - Connecting Camera's
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:16:56 PM »
Hi Guys,

Im new to the 3D scanning scene and am having a few problems with connecting the 20 camera's I have to my single workstation!

I'm currently experimenting with just facial capture using 20 DSLR's, but am having problems hooking them all up to my one rig. Im using USB3.0 hubs connected to my USB3.0 ports and am maxing out at 16 connected camera's.

Im not entirely sure wether this is to do with the limitation of my motherboard's USB 3.0 controller or the fact that I haven't got enough USB 3.0 ports to spread the camera's across.

Would adding in a PCI-E USB 3.0 adapter help with connecting camera's?

Anyone that has tackled/come across this before some assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

moenke

• View Profile
Re: Photoscan - Connecting Camera's
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
Hi Matt,

did you ever try to connect them to a USB 2.0 on your work station or do you have a 2.0 Port?

MattHD6950

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
Hi Moenke,

I have managed to get them to all connected via the available USB 2.0 ports on my workstation, but the reason I wanted to get them working via USB 3.0 was for increased transfer speeds and adding extra camera's in the future.

Cheers

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 11:54:11 PM »
Even though as its been expressed here by some people, the USB3 is supposed to be more reliable (and faster of course) the USB2 works fine if you make sure you have good quality cables and hubs.
Make sure you use powered hubs for the transfer and not use cables that are too long before getting into a powered hub.
I have a laptop with 3 USB2 inputs that connect to 1 powered hub each and those 3 hubs connect to another 12 non powered hubs each that connect to 5 cameras each.
A total of 60 cameras connected to 3 inputs in the laptop all on USB2 and I have been running them for a month now with pretty much no issues.
Leo

gerdschwaderer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
Does anybody know of a cheaper solution like WEBCAMS, and how to shoot a synchronised picture with many of them?
Thanks!!!

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 11:20:17 PM »
I just answered to you on your other thread.
Leo

scanlab.ca

• Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • 3d Scanning Service in Vancouver
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 05:50:43 AM »
Let me guess, Windows 8?
Best regards,

Ruslan Vasylev | Scanlab Photogrammetry
S: https://scanlab.ca | E: ruslan@scanlab.ca | T: 1 (778) 991-5157

MattHD6950