Forum

Author Topic: Color 3D printer  (Read 7835 times)

igor73

• View Profile
Color 3D printer
« on: May 22, 2014, 12:40:49 AM »
In the process of buying a 3D printer mainly for printing photoscanned archeological objects.  I need a full color printer and it must have a large print area and good resolution. 

I have been looking at the 3D systems projet 660 pro.   http://www.3dsystems.com/3d-printers/professional/projet-660pro

The 660 is an expensive printer but have had models printed with it before that i was happy with.  Is this a good choice?  Does this printer have a good reputation?  What other brands are there to consider?.  Price and performance is important as well as economical prints.

Lambo

• View Profile
Re: Color 3D printer
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:33:05 PM »
As far as I know, the 3D systems printers are the only ones that can print full color besides a brand new one that came out from Stratasys I think that is around $300,000
The 3D system printers used to be the ZCorp printers.
ZCorp full color printers were: Z450 Full color but only 2 printer heads ( blacks are good but not as nice as the bigger machines, I have one and it prints really nice)
Z650 that is slightly bigger printing area and has a dedicated black print head.
Z850 I think that is even bigger.
The resolution of printing is pretty much the same, build size changes some,  they can put out really nice detail and they are very reliable. Only problem is that they all work ONLY with the sandstone material.
The newer versions are the ProJet 460 Pro, 660 Pro, 860 Pro, etc. that are a rebranded versions of the same printers with some updated electronics for what I know.
And of course you have the brand new ones that are much more expensive.
As for prices, the cheapest you are gonna get any of these is around $15,000 for the cheapest used Z450 and it will go up from there to about $30,000 for the cheapest used Z650, etc,
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Leo

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 11:50:56 PM »
Thank you Lambo.  I have set you a private message.

If i read you correct the projet 660 pro  is the top of the line as far as color printing and the quality is good? 

I have been very happy with the models i have had printed on it so far but i have no clue if this is the best option or not. 

NB-DanTE

• 3D Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:13:26 PM »
Where I work we use Projet 660 Pro it's the best option to print full color models, there is a better printer and it prints in full color plastic the Projet 4500 but to much expensive ,it's around 3 times the price of Projet 660 pro

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »
Yup we have the 650 version  if know how to deal with it, you get very nice result. the 660 is new, but under the hood is the same as 650. its best combination of price-performance-build size and  post work with models. but will need experiment for best results......

----------------
www.mhb.sk

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 12:34:45 AM »
Only downside of the 660 seems to be the material?  Its is quite fragile?  Can you get away with thin wall thickness  like 2-3mm with this material?   I have been told the material cost about 80 EUR per kg.  Is that correct?  The ink should not be much of a cost when printing?

Is the material able to stand heat so you can use it as a mold?  If so what kind of metals would it work for?
Read somewhere that printed models can be electro plated.  Is this correct?

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 02:21:14 AM »
igor,

You could try checking the info on 3d print services sites, instead of 3d printer manufacturers.

3D Print services typically will indicate which type of print is good for supplementary process like electroplating. RedEye and QuickParts are two that come to mind that have lots of info.