Forum

Author Topic: Animation mode  (Read 14466 times)

Peter_CGS

• View Profile
Animation mode
« on: September 24, 2011, 01:00:50 PM »
Im exploring the possibilities to get Photoscan into a animation tool, where you use 2 or more cameras for exporting a 3D mesh for every frame. Would it be possible to add a feature where you select two or more folders (one folder for each camera), and let photoscan run through every frame exporting a mesh with or without texture? If it also could arrange points so the mesh always have the same point order it would be extremly useful for VFX applications. I wouldn't mind this as a separate product with a higher pricetag than the standard for being able to work more easily with film. Call it filmscan if you want ;) Next month Im getting three Epic cameras, so Im very interested to do a three camera shoot in 5K to try this out.

I really dont understand how I set up the batch process in photoscan for doing this even if I read that another user have been able to do it.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Animation mode
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:40:44 PM »
Hello Peter,

"Batch process" in PhotoScan allows only to automate standard processing operations (align photos, build geometry and texture) for multiple chunks, but it still requires manual chunk creation and exporting.

Fully automatic processing could be achieved using Python scripting API available in PhotoScan Pro (starting from version 0.8.3).

Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Peter_CGS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
Uhm, I might be able to get a python programmer to help me then. But "could be" makes me a bit nervous. Do you mean its possible, but maybe not? :)

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »
Hello Peter,

Using Python scripting you can automate the following process:

- add photos and split them into chunks,
- import camera calibration,
- add ground control and set the coordinate system,
- align photos in each chunk,
- build geometry in each chunk,
- build texture in each chunk,
- export point cloud/model/texture from each chunk

and some minor features.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
Hello Peter,

Any progress with Python? If there is a problem for you we can help you with script.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Peter_CGS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »
Thanx Alexey,

Im waiting for the Epics cameras to arrive first. I will do some initial "still" frame testing with these in the standard version before upgrading to the pro version that allows for Python.

Peter_CGS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 01:00:58 PM »
Btw, would you consider to release a semi-pro photoscan version that has Python enabled? There are alot of GIS functionality that seems overkill for vfx kind of work.

EricM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »
I concur to an "intermediate VFX version" with axis/coordinate system orientation and maybe better automation/batch processing tools when you want to use video as input and output animated meshes or just depth/disparity map images sequences as an output.

All the technology is here, but it's not really accessible.

On the other hand, I don't need the fancy orthophoto, DEM, georeferencing stuff.