Forum

Author Topic: Texturing problem/question  (Read 6185 times)

William Ringle

• View Profile
Texturing problem/question
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:54:07 PM »
I am using Photoscan to register archaeological features, using a combination of hand-held photos and pole-mounted photos (same camera, same F stop). When I generate an orthophoto, it looks great from a high angle, but the sides of the stones of low walls are textured with vertical streaks that do not represent the faces of these stones (see attached). I am including a down-sampled version of one of the original photos and the textured version. I have experimented with both ortho and generic photos, mosaic and averaged, and the results are the same. It has occurred consistently with low stone walls. Am I expecting too much of the texturing algorithm?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Texturing problem/question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:28:01 AM »
Hello William,

Actually, orthophoto mapping mode means, that you'll get texture covering only 2D surface, so all the vertical areas will not be properly textured.
In case you'll need to generate texture for all the surfaces, you need to use Generic mode.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ozbigben

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:39:05 AM »
If you're getting the same results with generic and ortho there may have been a problem with the model. Have a look at the surface without a texture (does the shape look correct?) and the dense point cloud (are the points close to the resulting surface or is there a lot of variation?)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:01:46 PM by ozbigben »

William Ringle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:36:57 AM »
Thank you for the replies and the clarification. One problem with generic textures is that often they come out black. Is there any diagnostic for that?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »
Hello William,

Can you please specify the reconstruction settings used for mesh generation? Please also check that you have been using version 1.0.4 for model reconstruction (in older version there was the problem causing black texture generation for high-poly models: http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=1883).

Black texture may be a result of too many isolated faces or noise of the surface in case of disabled interpolation.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

William Ringle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:40:52 AM »
I am still having trouble generating textures on some models. This model (see attached) is of a building, constructed with 146 photos (all aligned), with 7,871,517 faces and 4,194,033 vertices. For align I used high, disabled,40000,no. For dense cloud, I used medium, mild, no. For build mesh, arbitrary, dense cloud, disabled, custom, 0. I am using build 1847 (professional). To build the texture, I used generic and both average and mosaic (both of which give black textures), 4096x1. I also turned on the Enable Color Correction, same result. Orthophoto will give a colored texture, but it is unsatisfactory because of the view.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 03:02:41 AM »
Hello William,

With the interpolation disabled you get a lot of isolated mesh components, thus texture atlas is very scattered and consists of many tiny pieces.
I can suggest to enable intepolation for mesh reconstruction.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC