Forum

Author Topic: DSLR connected via network  (Read 6077 times)

MattHD6950

• View Profile
DSLR connected via network
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:05:15 PM »
Quick question,

After failing to connect all of my camera's via USB3.0 (USB2.0 works), I saw one of these on the net:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/88G-USB-to-LAN-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-for-Apple-MacBook-Air-Mac-Laptop-PC-/331020815237?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Essentially a USB to Ethernet adapter.

Question is, are DSLR's "seeable" by a PC on a network if they were connected to a network hub by these adapters?

It would certainly obtain quicker transfer speeds compared to USB2.0!!

James

• View Profile
Re: DSLR connected via network
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
That device just adds an ethernet adapter on one of your USB ports. It doesn't help you convert back to USB at the other end to connect to your cameras, rather it is to allow PCs without such an adapter built in to connect to a wired ethernet network.

Devices to extend USB over ethernet do exist, but the only advantage would be the extended range of ethernet cables - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360880385424. I expect this would actually reduce transfer speed however.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:46:22 PM by James »

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:49:53 PM »
Are you having any issues with the USB2 connection? I know it is slower than USB3 but I have no problems with lots of cameras and the transfer speed is pretty decent.
Maybe you have too many cameras or are shooting really high megapixel pictures?
Leo

Exhale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:47:43 PM »
Question is, are DSLR's "seeable" by a PC on a network if they were connected to a network hub by these adapters?

No They can not, because they can't introduce themselves as a device on the network.

MattHD6950

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys,

No issues with the USB2 connection, its just the transfer speeds aren't as high as I'd like them to be, and ideally would want to connect all camera's via USB3 for times sake (shooting in quick repetition).

I'd guess its an issue with current generation USB3.0 motherboard controllers and/or the USB3.0 drivers themselves that don't allow for many camera's to be connected.

I thought maybe trying to connect the camera's via ethernet adapters would alleviate the problem looking at the responses its easer said than done.

Matt