Forum

Author Topic: Noise removal..  (Read 14990 times)

mala

• View Profile
Noise removal..
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »
Has anyone got any tips on reducing or removing surface noise in the mesh that photoscan builds?

At the moment i'm using Zbrush and "manually' smoothing the mesh..whilst this works i would like to find a method to reduce noise at the build stage in Photoscan with out removing/flattening features.

Cheers,
mala

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Noise removal..
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:25:49 PM »
some screenshots ? samples ??
----------------
www.mhb.sk

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »
heres part of a build in Zbrush(bit easier to see noise than in Photoscan)

3 photos for build taken with Canon 450Ds(4272x2848pix) 
 Photoscan settings high,smooth,2 mil

Cheers,
mala

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:01:32 PM »
hmm can upload 2-3 orig photos, could be a NOISE -high ISO in photo or another thing - HIGH detail setting - software use every 2nd pixel, that mean some noise is generated from this method of reconstruction. Best if you upload the orig photos.... DROPBOX eventuely
----------------
www.mhb.sk

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:10:45 PM »
ISO for these shots is only 200..i have taken some at ISO100...i don't think the problem is noise in the original photos.

I've taken a lot of photos in the last few weeks of different people in my Lighting dome..with various Camera settings..all the builds in photoscan exhibit this same surface noise.

I didn't know that the High setting uses every 2nd pixel...maybe that is part of the noise problem as you say.Out of interest  why every 2ndPixel..why not use every Pixel?

From seeing tests done by other people with higher res cams,i think image resolution has a lot to do with it...especially now i know every other pixel is ignored...surely that effectively halves the detail/sharpness/resolution of the built mesh.

I've had problems in the past with Dropbox...PM me an email address to send photos to,if you'd like

Cheers,
mala

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:45:08 PM »
The High is a max for the STANDARD edition, ULTRA is for the PROFESSIONAL version, just send me few pic, and will digg in that what is wrong.....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:50:06 PM »
Hi Merry, I don't think this is a High, Medium or Ultra settings issue. You just need more input images. For example a friend of mine used a Canon 5DMKII (full frame) and he took 30 images (21MP) from 30 Angels front on to a subjects face. The Build took many hours but the results are incredible, you can see down to the pore level with very minimal noise. ISO around 100-200.

If you then process the same batch of images but cull them down to 9 from 30, the results are still good but include far more noise and less fine pore level detail. The full frame really helps allot, especially if the images are super sharp with minimal DOF.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
Yes the settings change nothing, BUT, more pictures - from all what i know and have tested its seems that photos of face are something like shiny objects, that mean its hard for the sw to recover more from photo.. can you share with me some shooting ? but in raw format, need something test that could help in future that don?t need so many photos, im using Canon 550D  - 18Mpix, and with excelent reuslts, with fewer photos.. could you share with DROPBOX ?  im shooting mostly buildings, not faces, and there was a problem like this, could be a solution from me, but need the raw files.......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
Indeed I myself have a Canon 5d markII, and full frame does help a lot.. the thing to take into account is greasy skins.. I suppose you could maybe put on some matte powder makup like they have on tv or film.. that would also help reducing the sss effect that skin has..

my $o,1

h/