Forum

Author Topic: More megapixels or better optics?  (Read 19224 times)

3dmij

• I make raspberry pi 3d Scanners
    • View Profile
    • pi3dscan
Re: More megapixels or better optics?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »
so yes, 5MP cameras work fine...

To really improve quality, you can best add projection support. Where you take 2 images quickly in a row. One set projectors project noise on the person, the 2nd no projection. Now one set can be used for texture and the opther for mesh.

I have some samples scans in the download section on my website: www.pi3dscan.com

Darkly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 04:07:39 AM »
I bump my old thread, because I have still not made a 3D scanner. I forgot about it for a while, but I still want to do it. Thanks for all the replies.

When you say it helps with projecting noise, would it similarly help to simply draw, with paint, a mesh directly on to the person being scanned, or on a tight fitting clothes? The purpose is so that I don't have to buy a bunch of projectors; I do not need any texture, only the mesh, and this will not be a professional setting at all so painting the body is no problem.

So I wonder, is there any advantage to using a projector instead of paint? Only projecting a single noise image will not be like a structured light scanner.

Darkly

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 04:38:40 AM »
The needs for clothing modelling is quite different from what most people on this site seems to be doing. I only need the mesh, and only of half the body at a time. I can do lower body in one shoot, and upper body in another. I don't need texture, or any of the difficult parts, face, hair or the hands.

But the mesh must be pretty accurate for dimensions, that is the important part. It would be great if the waist and should circumferences were accurate to 1/2 inch, for instance.

On an extremely small budget, would it be better to go for structured light with 4 XGA projectors and 8 cameras, rather than trying to cobble together an array of 12-20 point-and-shoot Powershots, albeit with a painted body grid?