Forum

Author Topic: Scanning a rollerskate with a photodome - agisoft doesn't build dense cloud  (Read 6689 times)

Martin

• View Profile
I scanned a rollerskate with a photodome. We painted an alpha in Photoshop and saved as a tif with alpha.
The aligning worked perfect! And the low res Point Cloud looks great too.
But when I start building a dense cloud a shell pops up with "Can't build dense cloud".

Does anybody have an idea?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello Martin,

Maybe the reasons mentioned in another topic are also causing the problem in your case: http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=2451.msg13037#msg13037

Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Martin

• View Profile
Hello Alexey, thanks for the quick response -
I guess it is

- insuffient number of matching points inside the bounding box between every pair of images,

would be great to get the information on sceen in the same shell.
Hours of keying for nothing ;(

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
Hello Martin,

And what processing parameters have you used?

Maybe you can align the photos without the use of masks, then extend bounding box and build the dense cloud?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Martin

• View Profile
Hello Alexey, I tried to align without the masks but the results weren't very good.
I tried all parameters for the dense cloud as I thought it makes a difference - but it didn't.

Marcel

• View Profile
Does the boot of the skate have any pattern, or is it a black mass (or showing a lot of specularity).

Some full sized source pictures would be helpful.

Martin

• View Profile
Hi Marcel, here is one of our photos attached. It worked quiet okay with a person wearing the skate.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:22:44 AM by Martin »

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
Hello Martin,

If you can send a link to the project along with the images to support@agisoft.ru, we'll see what can be done.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Marcel

• View Profile
Hi Marcel, here is one of our photos attached. It worked quiet okay with a person wearing the skate.

Wow, nice studio setup!

I think your results would be better if the skate would fill the frame more, currently you are using only 1/8th of the frame, so your effective resolution is very small.  Instead of your studio setup, you might consider shooting it manually with just one camera on a tripod.

Another question is if the white leather has enough details for Photoscan to pick up.  It looks very even. If you are allowed to mess with the skate a bit, you could try adding some speckle pattern:

Tape up the laces and bottom parts with some painters tape
Use a toothbrush and your finger to spray some water solvable paint on the leather (varied sizes and maybe 2 different colors might help create good recognizable patterns for Photoscan).
Remove tape and scan
Remove speckles from the texture manually

Adding a speckle pattern is not something I tried myself, but I am quite sure it will work. Photoscan really needs recognizable patterns.