Forum

Author Topic: Texture export crashes PS  (Read 13723 times)

ju523m

Texture export crashes PS
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:01:46 AM »
Hi,

PS Standard 0.8.3 Build 1224, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, GeForce 9600 GT:

- Exporting a textured model to PLY-Format does not export texture file, instead giving error message "Can't export model", Ply model itself is exported and seems to be OK with vertex-color and normals, but no JPG texture file

- Trying to export tex seperately as JPG crashes PS without further  notice. Empty (0 byte) JPG File is created.

I am not too lucky with this, espicially because this has worked in the last preview release as well as in 0.8.2 985.

Can you please fix this a.s.a.p., thanks.

kind regards

ju523m

Re: Texture export crashes PS
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
Hi,

terminal says:

libpng error and IDAT: CRC error

kind regards

Dmitry Semyonov

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:45 PM »
Thank you for reporting.

We have tried texture export on Ubuntu 10.04 with PhotoScan Standard build 1224 and it worked fine for us.

The error seems to happen during texture unpacking from the internal representation (PhotoScan stores textures internally compressed into PNG format). This can happen, for example, if the project file you are loading is corrupt. In this case the same error should occur when the model is displayed in textured mode (i.e. when you switch to the Textured view mode).

Can you please check this?

With best regards,
Dmitry
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

ju523m

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »
Hi Dimitry,

performed another test with new project:

strip of 13 aerial 3000x2000 px images with approx 80% overlap in-path

Settings

Alignment accuracy high with 20000 initial points per image
Matching and Bundleadjustment ==> OK
Geometry recon Hightfield, high, smooth, 0.5, 0.5, 10 mio faces ==> OK
Texture Ortho, mosaic, 18000 x 18000 ==> OK but "Packing 1 charts" step took 26 Minutes, blending step after that was finished in 2 Minutes.

I have set-up an additional test:

strip of 5 aerial images 17310 x 11310 px (Ultracam) with approx 60 - 70 % overlap in-path
Alignment accuracy high, 200000 initial points per image
matching and Bundle adjustment ==> ok
saved project
Started geometry recon with heightfield high, smooth 0.5, 0.5, 10 mio faces, then cancelled geometry recon process after 1% progress,
saved project

after that, PS starts behaving weird in the following way:

New start of recon process ==> recon process does not use all CPU cores any more, max 2- 3 from 8 (7)
after cancelling this, I tried to do a new image alignment within this project ==> process falls asleep after the first image and does not respond to cancel. Killed it, started ps and project new ==> same behavior

I am not sure but it looks like as if something seems to be wrong with the cancel-procedures

After machine reboot I have  set-up a third test now with Ultracam images, same parameters as above but now 20 mio faces, depth recon is on the way.

Observed that, starting at 72% progress of recon step only uses 2 - 3 cores, before that, machine was busy with all 8 up to 100% each

will report further prgress

kind regards

ju523m

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
Hi Dimitry,

PS totally crashed during mesh extraction at 64% progress, no further notice, it just died closing the application window and the terminal window. Memory consumption was around 47% (I upgraded my machine to 16GB).

Please find attached the log-protocol from console output.

Unfortunately this was not the first time PS crashed that way. It works fine when I do not use "high" mode for recon, but the mesh is not sufficient using "medium"

Prior to RAM upgrade I thought it was because 8 GB might not be enough, but now ...?

Can you modifiy the log-handler, so that it adds a timestamp, e.g. local mean time, for each log-entry, please?
Would be very helpfull ...

I am only working with standard version so far, because I would not like to spend 3500 USD for software which is in beta state up to know and where a lot of beta testing and bug reporting is done by all the costumers..

Please do not misunderstand me here, I really appreciate PS and it does a lot of things very fast and good, e. g.  tiepoint detection, matching and bundle adjustment, other software cannot do in that way.

But when I compare PS Pro, it's  features, number of functions and it's pricel level for example with a ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop, which comes in ArcView Licence Version also for around 3000 USD as an in-deep tested relase, ... well, I always will decide not to buy PS Pro in it's current state, mainly because it is not reliable enough.

kind regards

ju523m

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »
Hi,

sorry, forgot to attach the log file. Here it comes ...

kind regards

ju523m

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 05:49:17 PM »
Hi,

I did another test-run:
5 images with 17310 x 11310 px as above
Alignment with high and generic OK
Bundleadjustment OK

Build geometry with hightfield high, smooth, 20 mio faces, 0.5, 0.3
set AOI box to half the area

Mesh genration :
gpu processing failure at approx. 65 % progress of recon step
progressbar of recon step was approx. at 80% when suddenly switching to mesh genration

total crash while extracting mesh
Memory consumption during this was again below 50% of available RAM

kind regards

Diego

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 07:45:18 PM »
I think of 196 Megapixel images such as UltraCam not work with your hardware  :o. This type of images requires a decent hardware 96 GB of RAM and Dual Xeon six cores and dual GTX 590 graphics cards  :'(. You can not expect much with this hardware, perhaps to be found with a camera have 12 Megapixel success.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:47:14 PM by diegotorres »

Dmitry Semyonov

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »
Texture Ortho, mosaic, 18000 x 18000 ==> OK but "Packing 1 charts" step took 26 Minutes

We have checked this and it seems that performance of chart packing can be improved. The improvement will be included in the next update.

gpu processing failure at approx. 65 % progress of recon step

Do you mean "GPU processing failed, switching to CPU mode" message in the log?

PhotoScan splits depth generation in many sub problems which are scheduled for processing on CPU or GPU. The size of these sub problems is selected to fit available resources (memory, number of available threads, etc). While the selected size of sub problems is usually appropriate, sometimes it can still exceed available GPU resources. In this case the corresponding sub problem is removed from GPU queue and scheduled for processing on the CPU. So this error message doesn't indicate any problem, it is printed just for informational purposes. Other sub problems queued for GPU processing will be processed as usual.

Also we spent much time today trying to reproduce other problems you have mentioned without success. We have tried processing large images (100 MPix) as well as small ones, repeating the steps you have described. Everything worked fine for us without single crash. Probably there are some differences with Ubuntu setup or hardware used, although we were testing on Ubuntu 10.04 also.

Can you please submit crash reports when PhotoScan crashes next time? We haven't received any crash reports from you yet.
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

ju523m

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
Hi Dimitry,

thanks for your explanation, You did not recieve a crashreport yet, because the machine has no direct internet connection. Can the crashreporter-output be redirected to a File?

kind regards

Dmitry Semyonov

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 02:18:10 PM »
PhotoScan saves generated crash reports in the following folder (under Ubuntu):

~/.agisoft/photoscan standard edition/Crash Reports/pending

Can you please check that folder and send us its contents manually by email?
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

ju523m

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
Hi Dmitry,

i have sent an email with crash report files to info@agisoft.ru.

Many thanks for your support.

kind regards

ju523m

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
Hi Dmitry,

i did a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04.3, nVidia devdriver_3.2_linux_64_260.19.26 and ps 0.8.3 1224.

performed the same test as described above with 5 Ultracam images, using only CPU processing.
during depth reco average CPU load was around 750% (nearly full load on all 8 cores for the ps process) while during mesh generation it never exceeded 100% in average.

RAM consumption did never exceed 50%.

again it crashed during the "extracting mesh" step.

There was an active internet connection. Are the crash reports in such case send to agisoft without any notice for the user? Or did PS create none? There is no crashreport on disk.

kind regards