Forum

Author Topic: approx 20 cameras, best setup for facial scan  (Read 5016 times)

Kms1

• View Profile
approx 20 cameras, best setup for facial scan
« on: June 27, 2014, 07:04:11 PM »
Hi,

I  have been using this excellent software for around 3/4 months now and have had some great tips on this site, I would like to know from others who have tried it the best positing of the cameras in a multi camera setup, I have managed to borrow between 18-20 cameras (and tripods) possibly 1 or 2 more and all remotes, usb hubs etc to try to shoot hopefully my first full facial scan. All are a mixture of full frame and entry level canon dslrs.

What would the recommended positioning be? i was thinking of 6 stands with 3 cameras on each, 30 degrees apart to allow a 180 degree scan around the face and then possibly turning the subject around and doing the back of the head with the hope of attaching the two scans together afterwards.

I will not have much time to experiment so any information for anyone who has tried it would be useful. Could i get a full 360 degree scan of the head using this number of cameras or should i stick to doing front and back seperately? Would there be any purpose or enough information to try a full body scan with this number of cameras or would it be pointless?

Any information much appreciated..

FLuca

• View Profile
    • Another-me
Re: approx 20 cameras, best setup for facial scan
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:50:41 PM »
Hi Kms1,
I have only 15 DSLR but I have good results for facial scan with the attached config.
With 15 I can only get the front face in one shoot, and hair are very messy and need complete rescult.
I think with 20 you can get full 360 as you don't need so much cams on the back which has less occlusions.
Neutral powder help reducing the specular points on skin and even on hair.
First scans are time consuming, especially the USB setup that can be tricky to be stable.
Even if individually all cams can be connected to the computer, you start to have stability problems with all cams together. I would recommend usb3 cables, even if cams and hub are usb2.

I wish you good scan and show back your results !
Fred Lucazeau - Body Scan - www.another-me.fr
Sketchfab gallery: https://sketchfab.com/fredlucazeau

Kms1

• View Profile
Re: approx 20 cameras, best setup for facial scan
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:47:27 AM »
thanks for the info FLuca, and the pictures going to go with 7 tripods around initially will post results once complete