Forum

Author Topic: The Business of 3D Scanning  (Read 77690 times)

Lambo

• View Profile
Re: The Business of 3D Scanning
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »
Well if you see it like that, yes, it can look like a gimmick, but if you compare the quality of those scans and 3D prints with the good quality ones that some other people can do (myself included) they look cheap of course.
If you really want to have a nice replica of yourself with great quality and detail, then it will cost you more.
As in any other business, there are many quality levels.
The problem will come when they start selling cheap good quality scanners and full color printers that will allow anyone to make those high quality prints, but that is still a few years away I hope.
Leo

Brian33433

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:59 AM »
Actually I just saw an interesting segment on the news a few nights ago. Staples teamed up with 3d systems to sell their printers and scanner in there stores and now there doing scans and full color prints in shop for $60. The funny part is they don't use their scanner, they use a scanner booth they made just for this which of causes uses photogrammetry and not there handheld scanner. The resolution is top notch. They are doing it in New York and California to start. So goes to show you, The prices will never get up there. As at the least you would need a 40 camera rig (upwards of $50K) and a full color 3d Printer about $40k.

Brian

ruffy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 02:10:17 AM »
What a pity that it has already turned into a commodity:(
The big retail stores in the US used portrait photography to get people into the store.
These portrait studios operated at a loss.
Eventually, the loss was too great, the photography was poor and people could do it themselves and they shut them down.
I feel that this is what is happening here - a drawcard to get customers into the store.
No art, no professionalism and no experience.
It does undermine craftsman.
Soon you may have Brad Pitt doing to a booth at a supermarket for his facial scans for Benjamin Button2:)

Eunchi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »
@Brian,
Where did you see that article about Staples? Can you share the link?

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 08:52:13 AM »
well .. Lambo I am not seeing nor saying anything... I was just trying to provide links...

I agree most look like shit, but it will evolve.. maybe..

Now you're saying "If you really want to have a nice replica of yourself with great quality and detail, then it will cost you more."  .... sure, but then we're talking about something else..
yes some people (very few) want a quality bust or figurine of themselves, but how many willing to invest several $$, that might be a very small niche.. in fact that niche always existed, and that's what Sculptors do since middle age... nothing new here, just a different technique and faster...

That's the way things work today... cheap and fast... I mean look around you, go in a supermarket where we all buy our stuff, and look around you.. 90% of what they have in a store is cheap, badly constructed and poorly designed..
Look at IKEA, 99% of their stores sell shit... Sure you can still buy super nice furniture, but how many people are concerned..?

I don't want to be a party pooper here, but the fact is that large companies like supermarkets, amusement parks, even cities maybe....  are going to use it, and soon it will be good...(at least good enough) and cheap..

f/

FoodMan

• View Profile

Brian33433

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:41 PM »
Thats the story, the segment I saw where they showed everything was on tv. It was channel 11 news in NYC, not sure if they have it on there site.

B.

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 09:49:09 PM »
Yes I saw that video about Staples and I really didnt like it :( because it will make it even more affordable for anyone to get a figurine of themselves.
On the other hand, you only get your face on a pre-made body and the resolution is not that great and the size of the model is 5.5 inches. So the ones many of us are making are still much better... for now.
The other bad news is that 3D Systems is supposed to release pretty soon a new 3D printer, the CubeJet that is basically a consumer level Z450 or Z650 printer that will print in full color sandstone. It is supposed to be under $5,000.
For what I could gather, it will have a smaller print area and maybe slightly less resolution than the bigger brothers but still full color and much cheaper :(
Leo

Brian33433

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »
Yes unfortunately the 3d printing world is moving at leaps and bounds. As with all new areas of development those of us who invest early usually lose our shirts on the high price equipment and make way for the next round to make all the money  >:( But with that being said, I personally think the only way to be profitable in the figurine area is to be in a mall setting doing volume, but with that being said you would need a lot of printers set up as I can tell you the 90mm tall statue I did takes roughly 2 1/2 hours of printing time and thats single color. Truthfully at this stage, i'm not sure full color is really necessary to close the deal. Everyone who see's mine would give me $100 on the spot for one of them or there family members. That would be a viable market except I'm sure by the time I got up and running the big box stores would be undercutting me and in full color.

B.

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 10:56:05 AM »
I think the CubeJet will have the same def precision like their bigger brothers... except only 6 x 8"... but apparently a better material flexible.. and under $5k... wow... I might even buy one for myself..

the 3D selfie shops are going to pop up in every mall...  :)

ttoke

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
I think the CubeJet will have the same def precision like their bigger brothers... except only 6 x 8"... but apparently a better material flexible.. and under $5k... wow... I might even buy one for myself..

the 3D selfie shops are going to pop up in every mall...  :)

I really hope they are not stupid enough to kill the market for their 30-70k full colour printers. CubeJet will probably use 3 (basic CMY, not full CMY) separate colours, instead of 4 (full CMYK) on the bigger brothers. If it will be used in this business, it will create a huge difference between random CubeJet+Kinect "3D photo shops" vs professional ones.

I think the quality has to be at a certain level for a person to "feel it" - feel the awkward feeling of holding a small replica of yourself in his hands.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:14:31 AM by ttoke »

meshmixup

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 11:26:10 AM »
I think after 3DS launched the full color cubejet, the industrial grade printer series will move to higher resolution arena.  ;D The currently full color printing has a lot of rooms for improvement and cannot produce detail figurines. Therefore the difference between low cost scanner and high end 3D photography is suppressed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:31:15 AM by meshmixup »

ruffy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »
There has to be a 'point of difference'.
If you start competing on price alone then you are doomed.
These bigger companies can afford to run at a loss to get people in the store and will always win on price.
Create a quality product that will separate you from the cheapies.

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »
well interesting enough... there is one commenter here :
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/cubejet/
 (scroll down the page) that says it has to be that way... simply because some of the patents 3DSystems owns are expiring in Q1 of this year..

So if they don't do it.. well all their competitors will do it in an eye blink... so yes, I really think it will be full color and a good precision, only a smaller build room...

I agree if it's true, it is sad to see a technology being so expensive, simply because one owned the patents...

well I have seen a projet 460 working... and was always wondering what the heck was so expensive about it... lol..

Time will tell very fast.. too fast maybe.. hehe  :P and this is only the beginning :).. Exciting times

f/