Forum

Author Topic: The Business of 3D Scanning  (Read 77689 times)

ttoke

• View Profile
Re: The Business of 3D Scanning
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »
Hi,
We currently run Projet® 660pro , ProJet® 4500 as well as ProJet® 3500 HDMax.
I can confirm bot Projet® 660pro , ProJet® 4500 are have almots the same results in quality..
However used materials are different and their price too. I can say depends on purpose of using.
Next week, I will try to print the same object from two different printers and then upload some photos.
Also dear matey Wishgranter, you still keep it secret but thanks to Lord I sorted out the color issue long time ago...

So what you are saying, is that 4500 vs 660pro quality is about the same? I don't have the printers myself, but I have ordered 2 samples of human figurines (same model) from 3D Systems and the difference in colour quality is huge! Figurines printed with 660 are so much better...

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »
I am not surprised... because the Projet 4500 only prints in CMY... when the 660pro prints in CMYK...  :P

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »
hehe... I ask myself a pretty important question... is the apron mandatory if you want to work in that business..? hehe  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POx6eWOr97I

f/

voudas

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 09:47:49 PM »
cubejet is going to be powder based or plastic like 4500?

taking into account the general direction of this thread, i hope what i'm about to ask is not too offtopic. i own a projet 660 and i want to investigate on compatible consumables/infiltrants. has anyone used any with success (no problems, no clogs, no color issues)? is there a link or other info u can share? through pm if necessary? thanks!

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 11:39:19 PM »
Voudas, I am about to test some that has pretty good reviews. I'll let you know when I do.
Leo

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2014, 03:55:02 AM »
And by the way, the Cubejet is Powder like the Projet 660.
Leo

voudas

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »
thanks Leo for both answers, i'll wait for your valuable feedback.

do u also know if its going to be cmy or cmyk? (even though apart from the lack of fine detail, the sample pic is very contrasty and indicates cmyk) ty

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2014, 08:34:29 PM »
I do not know that for sure unfortunately, but if I had to guess, I would say it will be CMY since the Zcorp Z450 and the Projet 460 are CMY and the Cubejet seems to be a smaller version of those.
Leo

ruffy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2014, 12:00:56 AM »
Its all good and interesting, but it seems to me that a new thread is called for here:)

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2014, 12:04:47 AM »
Yes you are right Ruffy, I am sorry for contaminating the thread :)

Mark Florquin

• The Holographer
    • View Profile
    • Mark Florquin
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »
Hello guys,

I just had to get back on this. I started using scanning in photography  to create combined images that would otherwise require 20+ layers in photoshop and a high end artist.

3D printing took me by surprise, and fueled my business in the beginning. I was interested in realism and detail but these dreadfull prints showed none of it.

Sadly this dreadfull result now has all the attention and focus. The market is flooded with crappy printers and scanners, business models and schemes with the sole focus of financial gain.

I believe there is an opportunity for personalisation and experience unlike any other but I refuse to take part in any of these schemes.

I have a plan and a goal, but it will always have the Marki touch. Respect to all the guys I met that share this integrity and vision...

Stay tuned! And keep Agisofting!

Mark Florquin

P.S.: Check out Holodeck V1.0: http://youtu.be/M4rSOq6lhKc
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:11:26 PM by markflorquin »
Mark Florquin - The Holographer. Website - 3D Store

MeSelfie

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2017, 11:23:23 AM »
Meselfie :
We are a professional in developing the 3D technologies 3D Scan based devices which are very compatible for a figurine printing to get a good quality of 3D Prints.

Some of our 3D Scan based Mobile Kiosks :
1) Smart Clone Kiosk
2) Spin Clone Kiosk 
3) Professional Clone Kiosk
4) As per your requirement we give you the 3D solution with a reasonable prices

Support: We support you in the 3D Scanning, 3D Printing, 3D Designing, Training, Installations

Compact Mobile Kiosk : Our 3d Scan based devices are compact are moveable like plug and play to install it in a commercial places like shopping malls, cinema theaters, Photo Studios, airports, bus stops, any crowd place to get a good business

Hire a Kiosk: You can hire a 3D Kiosks for a events like Birthday Party, Marriages, Exhibitions...

For 3D kiosk systems there no need to operate any person , customers can directly interact with the kiosk its a user friendly devices, you can concentrate on 3D business we give you the all back-end support for your needs   

*Low investment with a good profits

*100% Customer satisfaction

* Order today to get a special discounts

Please visit our website for more details
http://mephoto.in/meselfie-3d-studio/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGWFAIjB-S4
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2YYtsfUcA_COGpYVGg4X1lBV00/view
Thank You
Praveen
Mephoto.in
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:33:03 PM by MeSelfie »

aspiring

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2017, 06:00:14 PM »
Although I am a newest newbie and have nothing to advice, I thank you Mark for your post, because it explains all my theoretical confusions about imagining a successful small business with merely 3d shooting people. Needles mentioning the printing part.
Thanks for the courage to write so, it materializes in words those my thoughts I could not move from a intuition and not fully understanding to a comprehension.

Hello guys,

I just had to get back on this. I started using scanning in photography  to create combined images that would otherwise require 20+ layers in photoshop and a high end artist.

3D printing took me by surprise, and fueled my business in the beginning. I was interested in realism and detail but these dreadfull prints showed none of it.

Sadly this dreadfull result now has all the attention and focus. The market is flooded with crappy printers and scanners, business models and schemes with the sole focus of financial gain.

I believe there is an opportunity for personalisation and experience unlike any other but I refuse to take part in any of these schemes.

I have a plan and a goal, but it will always have the Marki touch. Respect to all the guys I met that share this integrity and vision...

Stay tuned! And keep Agisofting!

Mark Florquin

P.S.: Check out Holodeck V1.0: http://youtu.be/M4rSOq6lhKc

volteco

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2019, 05:13:09 PM »
This is a very interesting thread for me. It was started in 2014 and it has been stated, that technological advance of handheld scanners will render complex and expensive photogrammetry systems with many DSLR cameras obsolete.

Now 5 years later how do things look like? I am very interested in this as I am looking into getting into commercial 3D scanning to produce 3D printed figurines. I am considering what system should I get to start this kind of business. There are different systems available on the market right now. One can custom build a photogrammetry system (which is what I was looking into originally), or buy 'off the shelf' system like Twinstant or Artec Shapify or get a portable scanner like Artec Leo.

Of course every system has it's own strengths and weaknesses, however I would like to know where the market is going these days. Does it still make sense to build a big and complex photogrammetry rig with a lot of postprocessing involved or one could get faster, better results with one of the latest hand held scanners, in particular Artec Leo (big plus, it is mobile)?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 05:15:37 PM by volteco »

badger

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2019, 12:44:22 PM »
This is a very interesting thread for me. It was started in 2014 and it has been stated, that technological advance of handheld scanners will render complex and expensive photogrammetry systems with many DSLR cameras obsolete.

Now 5 years later how do things look like? I am very interested in this as I am looking into getting into commercial 3D scanning to produce 3D printed figurines. I am considering what system should I get to start this kind of business. There are different systems available on the market right now. One can custom build a photogrammetry system (which is what I was looking into originally), or buy 'off the shelf' system like Twinstant or Artec Shapify or get a portable scanner like Artec Leo.

Of course every system has it's own strengths and weaknesses, however I would like to know where the market is going these days. Does it still make sense to build a big and complex photogrammetry rig with a lot of postprocessing involved or one could get faster, better results with one of the latest hand held scanners, in particular Artec Leo (big plus, it is mobile)?

Hi Volteco.

the type of scanner you choose depends on what type of business you want to set up. If you aim at lowish quality, low price, mass market then a handheld might fit your needs. As long as you can actually complete the scan. It takes long minutes and if the subjects moves odds are that the scan has to be restarded from scratch.

Therefore you cannot scan dogs, kids and therefore family groups.  Then the printing costs will probably increase the figurine price above the mass-market threshold anyway.

A photogrammetric scanner can scan any kind of subject, no market accessibility restrictions.

Another disadvantage of handhelds is the quality/resolution of the scan. Sometime ago I scanned a local popstar and his staff asked a textureless print. They explained me that they wanted to compare my scan with that produced by one competitor of mine (operating handheld or even ipad based scanner) and did not want to be deceived by the textures. Result: they admitted that you could recognize the guy in my print but you could not in the other one. I only have a raspberry based photogrammetric scanner, not even a DSLR...

In short, a photogrammetric scanner gives far better models and opens you interesting side businesses, such as producing models for VR/AR industry.

Pricewise the investment is higher, for a DSLR scanner, but definetly on par for a Raspberry scanner, compared to professional handhelds. Kinetcs / ipads and the likes are not professional, are toys. May fit your goals but remain toys.

The only real advantages of handhelds are portability and that they return a finished scan right away, while with photogrammetry you still need to process the photos.